These critters here.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
We are camping up near the 1000 islands for Labor Day.
While sitting outside I'm playing around with one of my cameras. I see this young Robin hopping around us at about 10'away.

DSCN4876.JPG

And. I can see that it's a young one. Perhaps a late season fledge. So, I'm thinking it is still learning to fly. But. Not so. It takes off and lands in a tree a little way from us. Ok, cool. Next thing I know I see a blur out of the corner of my left eye. That little sucker took off from the tree. And flew right under the chair I was sitting in. And landed under the RV!! Startled the heck out of me!

About a hour later we see this.

DSCN4880.JPG

Cute little Chipmunk on the fire pit. Next thing we know. It shoots under the chair Ann is sitting in!!
And. Last night we had a green tree frog under our RV chirping the better part of the night. Pretty peaceful noise. They kind of sound like a raccoon's chattering sound.

Love that , and nice clear shots Steve.
Just love all the wild life.

We have lots of feeders around the yard and lots of flowers for the birds etc.
We have 4 Hummingbird feeders set out and love watching them. Mona changes the
food every week so always fresh.
Last week we noticed that 2 of them were empty every morning and they hold a lot.
Could not figure it out , so Mona hung a toy that has bells on the feet so we could hear it ring, well she woke me at 4 am and said its ringing
lets go and see.

Well look at this bugger, he is actually tipping it and drinking the juice right out of it, After a few pictures and a small video I went to bed , she stayed up and watched him for a while. We now bring the 2 he can get to inside every night, lol
Smart little ( well he was not little ) guy.

DSC_8297.JPG
DSC_8296.JPG

David

chipmunk and squirrel population down. They are a destructive nuisance....
Chipmunks will ruin your flatwork in a hurry .

I see this young Robin
Adult Robins are fascinating to watch . They operate in groups like a fighter squadron .
I have several return every year and nest in my bushes . Hawks show up when the young are learning to fly , and the beat down those Robins dish out is impressive .
It's a well planned attack of chase and flank until the Hawk gives up .

That's awesome David!
Yes pretty funny , once we ( Mona ) figured out how it was getting empty.
But now I have to bring them in every night.

Change one out and fill it with alcohol.....I'm taking bets on how long until he falls off the rail.
No way Keith that would be like inviting an older uncle we all have, he would never leave. Day or night ha ha

David

Hate to say it, but I try to keep the chipmunk and squirrel population down. They are a destructive nuisance....

My .17hmr is perfect for this!
LOL
I run a relocation program for the little buggers. Bring them up to the Provincial Park on the other side of the river. They get fed better up there. :)

Love that , and nice clear shots Steve.
Just love all the wild life.

We have lots of feeders around the yard and lots of flowers for the birds etc.
We have 4 Hummingbird feeders set out and love watching them. Mona changes the
food every week so always fresh.
Last week we noticed that 2 of them were empty every morning and they hold a lot.
Could not figure it out , so Mona hung a toy that has bells on the feet so we could hear it ring, well she woke me at 4 am and said its ringing
lets go and see.

Well look at this bugger, he is actually tipping it and drinking the juice right out of it, After a few pictures and a small video I went to bed , she stayed up and watched him for a while. We now bring the 2 he can get to inside every night, lol
Smart little ( well he was not little ) guy.

View attachment 675144 View attachment 675143

David

Try filling one with orange liqueur. That'll be a show. And the hangover might dissuade them from coming back.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I walked out in the driveway to have a smoke the day after my hay got cut a couple weeks ago. I saw a small flock of buzzards below the pond dam and walked a little closer to see if there was something dead in the field. They took flight doing their usual circle pattern over the spot where they had been on the ground, so I walked towards the fence for a better look. Next thing I know, they move over and start circling me! I holler out, "I'M NOT DEAD, YET", and with that, they flew off.

We are camping up near the 1000 islands for Labor Day.
While sitting outside I'm playing around with one of my cameras. I see this young Robin hopping around us at about 10'away.

View attachment 675141

And. I can see that it's a young one. Perhaps a late season fledge. So, I'm thinking it is still learning to fly. But. Not so. It takes off and lands in a tree a little way from us. Ok, cool. Next thing I know I see a blur out of the corner of my left eye. That little sucker took off from the tree. And flew right under the chair I was sitting in. And landed under the RV!! Startled the heck out of me!

About a hour later we see this.

View attachment 675142

Cute little Chipmunk on the fire pit. Next thing we know. It shoots under the chair Ann is sitting in!!
And. Last night we had a green tree frog under our RV chirping the better part of the night. Pretty peaceful noise. They kind of sound like a raccoon's chattering sound.
Y'all must be critter magnets.. looks like a good camp site.

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky