I like pig butts and I can not lie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

croninad

Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Just got a new offset smoker. Have been wanting to smoke for a while now. Everytime I would Google something about smoke times or temps this site would be one of the results. I live in nc

This site is a great place to find info. You can post a question or look things up in the search and get a lot of help. No one here to send you in the wrong way. All here love the craft and more then ready to help. What brand smoker did you get. I had to make my own due to price of buying one the size I wanted.

Last edited:
texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from another cloudy and windy day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

It's a cheap char broil. After just three smokes I see why the more expensive smokers are of good thick steel. With fluctuating temps outside it really affects the temps inside. I'll probably end up building one as well once I find a tank the right size to use as a cook chamber

I used a 125 gallon air compressor tank. It has two racks and made a 18 x 20 fire box. Work very well gets to temp and holds it nicely. I smoked a 100 pound whole hog in last June and had room left for Two 15 pound Briskets also.

125 gallon would probably be a good size. I'm gonna have to check some local scrap yards. All I ever see on Craigslist are 250 gal tanks and those things are just way too big for backyard smoking.

Smokers I was looking at the size I made seemed around $3500.00. I think all said and done I spent about $500.00. A few things I was given but still cheaper and built it for my height and needs. One thing I did after cutting the lid was burn the inside out. We had some pallets around my shop to get rid of so it work out all around. Plus it burned the old paint from the outside. Was able to use water and a scratch pad to clean the outside.

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky