I got Nuggetized today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Actually some of our fish got nuggetized. I just felt that way after getting up so early to start the process :emoji_grinning:

Found this fish which the way better half caught during the 2019 Salmon season, in the freezer, yelling "let me out!!". Since I was looking for some Salmon to make into Nuggets......why not this one along with a couple of it's freezer buddies:
IMG_0836.JPG

5.8# of Chinook Salmon chunks
IMG_1292.JPG

Into Mr. MES using the new mailbox and neck which replaced my old original one.
IMG_1295.JPG

All done. Love my Auber set up.
IMG_1294.JPG

Cooling down
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_1299.JPG

Belch!
IMG_1300.JPG

Without my wife, I simply couln't have so much fun. She get's to share this batch with her friends.

Last edited:
They look great . Never had salmon of any kind myself .
When I saw the title of the thread I thought you might have a lamp shade on your head like Bob .

Reactions: Will Squared
Thanks guys. In VERY fine print on our marriage agreement, it says......."she catches it, I smoke it".
So true!

That's some fine looking pink! I grew up in Redwood City and fished out of HMB a lot, then Bodega when we moved north to Elk Grove, had a 21' Proline. When your wife's your fishing partner you get to fish a lot more often, I know that for a fact. The Big Pond is the only thing I miss since we moved to AZ, tho I sure don't miss the traffic. RAY

Craig That looks great my wife doesn't go fishing with me.If we get lucky an find a place to crab up here she will go with me.
Richie

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Yes we're counting the days before we get to start our 2020 Salmon season.

Oh and the wife's favorite and very,very common thing to say while on the boat "HOOK UP!", while reaching for her fishing rod. I just smile while hearing others mumble quietly...."Her? Again?"

Great looking Salmon!!! Point for sure. How did you prepare them for the smoker??????

My standard method for nuggets is to dry brine them in a 4/1 ratio of dark brown sugard / non iodized salt, for 4-5 hours (depending just how big the chunks are). Rinse and room dry for a couple hours. Then off to the smoker for 3+ hours in low (125* --145*) temp.

My standard method for nuggets is to dry brine them in a 4/1 ratio of dark brown sugard / non iodized salt, for 4-5 hours (depending just how big the chunks are). Rinse and room dry for a couple hours. Then off to the smoker for 3+ hours in low (125* --145*) temp.
I was going to ask the same question
Thanks for answering.
I'm a Noob to smoking... Wife & I just got a 560. The reason we were looking into smokers is because we just got about 25 lbs of local Salmon at the Hatchery give away. (Feather River)
This looks like a real good way to deal with it.
Last night we did our 8th cook on the 560.
LOVE it !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky