I fell down this Meat Curing Rabbit hole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Crabman Russ

Original poster
Nov 17, 2023
Greetings from Chesapeake Virginia. I fell down the meat curing rabbit hole about a month ago, I am hooked.
It has been all youtube university till now. I have 4 projects going now, Deli Ham, Canadian bacon, Capicola and I tried to start a pork belly bacon today, messed up the ratios, way too much cure, It was in the bag for an hour (Its soaking now) That is how I found Y-all.
Looks like a great forum Glad to be here.

Welcome to the forum. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Most of us are not generally fans of internet curing but we will review recipes and help correct them if need be.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Welcome from Mississippi! Now you done teased us with what you got going....We are going to need to see the show and tell on the finished product!

Jim

Reactions: indaswamp
Welcome to the forum. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Most of us are not generally fans of internet curing but we will review recipes and help correct them if need be.
I have been following "This dad goes to 11" and "2 guys and a cooler"
They booth seem Knowledgeable, although the math did not add up on the bacon!!
Cooler guy called it 1 1 2 2 method 1% cure 1%, Pepper, 2% salt, 2% Brown sugar.
His belly weighed 2648 Grams
He used 41 g salt 35 g Dark Brown sugar 17 g Black pepper and 23.88 g Eco cure # 1
That dont add up
Following those ratios and I saw my mistake an hour later
My belly 2.336KG
1 % Cure 23.3g
1% pepper 23.3g
2% salt 46.7g
2% brown Sugar 46.7g

New ratios
Weight of Meat in Grams... grams 2336
Cure #1 % Nitrite...6.25%
Salt % Desired... 2%
Sugar % Desired...1 %
Parts Per Million (PPM) Nitrite...156
Cure #1 Needed... 5.83 grams
Salt Needed... 41.25grams
Sugar Needed... 23.36grams
Total 2406.44 grams

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I have been following "This dad goes to 11" and "2 guys and a cooler"
They booth seem Knowledgeable, although the math did not add up on the bacon!!
Cooler guy called it 1 1 2 2 method 1% cure 1%, Pepper, 2% salt, 2% Brown sugar.
His belly weighed 2648 Grams
He used 41 g salt 35 g Dark Brown sugar 17 g Black pepper and 23.88 g Eco cure # 1
That dont add up
Following those ratios and I saw my mistake an hour later
My belly 2.336KG
1 % Cure 23.3g
1% pepper 23.3g
2% salt 46.7g
2% brown Sugar 46.7g

New ratios
Weight of Meat in Grams...grams 2336
Cure #1 % Nitrite...6.25%
Salt % Desired...2%
Sugar % Desired...1 %
Parts Per Million (PPM) Nitrite...156
Cure #1 Needed...5.83 grams
Salt Needed...41.25grams
Sugar Needed...23.36grams
Total2406.44 grams
Your calculations are correct. The calculator you used allows for the salt in cure #1 so combined with the salt is all in at 2% to meat weight.

2 guys are a solid group but they recently got into eco cure and that throws a loop in things. Just know what You calculated is the correct way for cure #1.

Cure #1 is generally figured at .25% to meat weight. So in your example it would look like this in long math.

Meat weight) 2336g

2336 x .0025= 5.84g

Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
Your calculations are correct. The calculator you used allows for the salt in cure #1 so combined with the salt is all in at 2% to meat weight.

2 guys are a solid group but they recently got into eco cure and that throws a loop in things. Just know what You calculated is the correct way for cure #1.

Cure #1 is generally figured at .25% to meat weight. So in your example it would look like this in long math.

Meat weight) 2336g

2336 x .0025= 5.84g

Easy peasy.
Awesome, thank you for the Conformation.

Welcome aboard! The Curing board is pretty active, there's a bunch of good folks here.

Welcome! I too live in the Hampton Roads / Tidewater area! You've landed in a great spot if curing is your thing. Well, that and just about anything else. Great place with a great bunch of folks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky