I Did It..............First Time Venison Summer Sausage....WOW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

golson

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Well I was very nervous the day before I started my first summer sausage.....I got my seasoning from "AskTheMeatMan", and it turned out unbelievable....Better than my local butchers summer sausage...Almost tempted to give him some to get him jelous......Well the only problem I had was the time it took to smoke it...15 hours at 160F and the internal temp just got to bare minimum for removal...Long dam day but well worth it. I used a MES 30 at 160F and four 2 1/2" X 20" Fibrous Casings. The taste is lovely and I used some high temp pepper jack cheese for more flavor. Next time  I am adding jalepenos.....Here is the end result...

Reactions: cowgirl
Looks Great...any time we smoke Patience is a Virtue...the end result  sure looks tasty
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

great Job :sausage:

Last edited:
[quote name="golson" url="/forum/thread/103995/i-did-it-first-time-venison-summer-sausage-wow#post_600951"]

Well I was very nervous the day before I started my first summer sausage.....I got my seasoning from "AskTheMeatMan", and it turned out unbelievable....Better than my local butchers summer sausage...Almost tempted to give him some to get him jelous......Well the only problem I had was the time it took to smoke it...15 hours at 160F and the internal temp just got to bare minimum for removal...Long dam day but well worth it. I used a MES 30 at 160F and four 2 1/2" X 20" Fibrous Casings. The taste is lovely and I used some high temp pepper jack cheese for more flavor. Next time  I am adding jalepenos.....Here is the end result...

Looks real nice golson !!!!!

I take it you mean you took it to 152˚ or 155˚ IT.

That is really hard to do with a smoker temp of only 160˚. Fifteen hours is shorter than I would have guessed.

I usually keep it low (130˚--140˚--150˚) for a long time, to get good smoke on it, but IMO it doesn't hurt to bump it to 180˚ to finish it.

Thanks for showing,

Bear

There ya go.

Looks awesome....nice job.

Now go show the butcher dude how to make SS

Great job Golson!! I've not tried the "ask the meat man" seaoning but will put it on my to-do list. 
Looks-Great.gif

Thanks for the kind words. This is definitely a learning experience. I did however finish the last two hours at a higher temp of 180F. I been reading a lot on how long to smoke and thought most people smoked for 6 to 8 hours. That is why I got nervous smokin it so long but now I know that was normal. Now time to take a break and next time add some good jalepenos for a kick.

I'm Going to be doing this my self in my mes 40. I bought the hooks so I can hang it. Was you able to get good smoke at 160 degrees. Great looking Summer Sauage

Looks great for your first time...bet you were a little stressed after all that time. Little info on your grinder and stuffer??
The grinder I got a whopping sale on E-bay for an Kitchener #8 Stainless Steel Meat Grinder for $110.00 brand new. My stuffer is an LEM vertical 5 pound stuffer...All this came in handy for sure...The grinder is awesome. I can't stuff meat in it fast enough........Grinds so well. A little slower on the hamburger plate....

I'm Going to be doing this my self in my mes 40. I bought the hooks so I can hang it. Was you able to get good smoke at 160 degrees. Great looking Summer Sauage

I have an Amazing Smoker...Never used the one on the MES...I did at first but it sucked....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky