I did a brisket!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Suam461

Original poster
May 28, 2018
So this past week I asked my husband to pick out something for me to smoke for dinner, thinking he would choose ribs or something similar. Instead he chose a brisket and it was only 3lbs, so I was worried that it wouldn’t smoke well. Usually those small ones are too trimmed down. After reading around here a lot I figured that I had mostly flat with the tiniest bit of point attached. There was also a decent fat cap on it, so I said to heck with it and tried smoking the lil sucker.

7FCAD33C-D189-4163-AABA-50ECF693EF38.jpeg 9BCC93F4-0C40-4FDD-91B3-286745EF95F4.jpeg
Rubbed him down and had him in the smoker fat cap up with pecan at 225-250. I did not foil wrap, because I was not encountering much of a stall. Pulled it off at 208 when it was probe tender. Had a beautiful bark and smelled amazing. Wrapped it up in a cooler for 1 1/2 hours. Sliced it up with some veggies for dinner!
36EE8CF2-89B5-4B4A-AACF-3D78ADFC2F9E.jpeg 568FDEBF-8A77-416D-B339-1BD6E097D510.jpeg

Overall, I’m pretty happy with my first try at brisket. Things I’m going to watch/change next time: I will definitely wrap and/or spray next time. Parts of it were just about perfect, but there were definitely some dry spots and I barely had any juices post rest. I also need to figure out a better knife for slicing it. My large serated knife shredded it and my big chefs knife couldn’t quite get through the bark. I finally had some luck with my turkey carving knife, but the slices were thicker than I’d like.
I’m planning on using the leftovers in some smoked Mac n cheese cause that just sounds like perfection to me. Probably going to use this recipe from Les3176, I searched through a lot and this sounded right on the mark.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...qview-heavy-now-with-mac-heese-recipe.102871/

Links that were helpful to me:
https://www.smoking-meat.com/august-27-2015-brisket-smoking-tutorial-for-dummies
https://www.smoking-meat.com/september-15-2016-smoked-brisket-for-game-day

Well for your first try at brisket, I think you did a fantastic job!
Especially since it was a small flat.
When I do a small flat like that I smoke it in a pan with French onion soup.
I let the brisket sit right in the soup & it stays nice & moist.
Plus you have a nice Au Jus when it's done cooking.
If you have an electric knife, they work very well with brisket too.
You probably smoked the hardest piece of meat there is to get right & it came out good on your first try!
Very impressive!
Al

Reactions: Suam461
Nice job on your first brisket. Looks wonderful from my screen.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: Suam461
Thanks yinz guys! And thanks for the tips Al. I was a little scared to try brisket, but now I can’t wait to try again!

Reactions: wbf610
Looks good from here. Yinz guys....what part of the burg are you from?
Originally from about 15 minutes East of the city-Monroeville area. We’ve been in VA for the last few years, but I get back frequently!

Looks really good to me...you are much more brave than me I'm still too scared to try one haha. Well done! :D
You should definitely try one! I would have waited forever, guess I just needed a push.

Reactions: wbf610
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky