I am entering my first cookoff. Update Third Place Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like fun! Oddly enough my first comp, and so far only one, was also at a church. I was doing ribs and there was a mixup about when the gates would open. Long story short the gates opened about 2.5 hours later than I was planning which gave me exactly 4 hours to setup and smoke 4 racks of spares. Nailed it and took first! Can't wait for the next one in May. Just bump your smoker temps to 250ish and go 45 mins in foil with a high heat finish. Worked for me. Good luck and have fun!!!

Dang beer at a Church function? I need to move to Texas...

Would green Leaf Lettuce be good enough?  
 In the FBA their is no garnish, or sauce on the side allowed.

It depends on what the rules are where your competing at as to the garnish and sauce.

But when I compete where they allow garnish I use fresh Kale

Hope you do well my friend!

You need a shuttler to take the empty cans of beer from you and replenish them with full ones from off-premises. It sais only two cases but it doesn't say how many times...

I think you have enough advice on the short order ribs so good luck with that..

Well I know one thing I am taking two Ugly Drum smokers that need a new paint job and I plan to beat at least one person with a $2000 rig.  I bet I get a couple looks from some people when I unleash the beasts.

eac97d08_2011-01-07171834.jpg
d68abb77_2011-01-07171947_Spring_Texas_US-1.jpg

Yes it is January and I am in a tank-top.

Knocked it out of the Park 3rd place out of 22 teams in the Pork Ribs.  Could not have done it with out you guys.  You should have seen all the guys with their 5000 pits come ask me how a UDS works after I got my trophy.  Will post pics later after I recoup.

3.    Each team is limited to 2 cases of beer on premise. NO EXCEPTIONS

Gotta love the Catholic Church (yeah I am Catholic).

Attended a Baptist for a bit recently and that would be unacceptable. LOL

Only problem with me is having two cases per team.

.....I suppose if I was in it, my teammates would just have to drink water. lol

Great job:sausage:

So what did you chose for a timeline?

They gave us a revised timeline that gave us pleanty of time for ribs.  Basically did a 3.5-1.5-1 over lump and pecan.  Foiled with Parkey, Rub and Brown Sugar finished with glaze the last 15 minutes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky