Hydrator vs my pellet cooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Just curious to what the major differences are? The Yoder has a fan so it's got a positive pressure from the blowers. I consider it a wood burning convection oven. I've never used a hydrator & I'm just curious if I can achieve the same or close result with my jerky in the Yoder vs a hydrator? I set mine @ 150 and it runs just a bit higher than that. Last batch I ran for 4 hours and could have possibly gone a bit longer. The jerky is good at 4 hours so I'm just thinking I can dry it out a little more with a bit longer in the cooker?

You should be fine if you can keep your temps low like that. If you start creeping up about 180°or above ,then your basically cooking it.

Reactions: texomakid
I run my rec tec at 180 for a 2-3 hours then up to 225 to finish the drying as needed. I cut the meat 1/4 thick so it takes about 4 hours total give or take. i think the pellet grill is great for jerky! try discos OFG jerky - its killer. I have also used a wet marinade made from Dales (low sodium). I like the OFG better, wife like Dales better. but im cooking soooo. :)

I run my rec tec at 180 for a 2-3 hours then up to 225 to finish the drying as needed. I cut the meat 1/4 thick so it takes about 4 hours total give or take. i think the pellet grill is great for jerky! try discos OFG jerky - its killer. I have also used a wet marinade made from Dales (low sodium). I like the OFG better, wife like Dales better. but im cooking soooo. :)
I ran this exact recipe on my Bull this past weekend and it is killer.

nice work! glad you liked it too. Disco get cred for the recipe. the temps and time I came up with on a couple trials.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky