Hunting Success!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oberst

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
St Louis
Tdeer.jpg

Well I finally got lucky with my old recurve bow! I started bow hunting with a Bear Kodiak Hunter recurve back in the 1960's, like everyone, then went to a compound when they came out, and then after yanking off a fiber optic sight going through the dark woods one morning, etc., decided I had enough technology elsewhere in my life and went back to a recurve. Have gotten several deer, but his is my biggest, shot at 10 yards. Way bigger than usual, and you know what that means; a ton of sausage meat.

Tmeat.jpg

Cutting up the deer myself ensures the highest possibility quality of the meat; man doesn't this look great! First batch of sausage was the Owens honey bbq, and this time I added cheese:
Tsticks.jpg

Hot off the smoker here; I went with 4 hours using hickory pellets in my MES. My internal temp was 129 and I finished the batch in the oven. First time using high-temp cheese, and while the cost was a bit daunting at $15 a pound it sure is a great addition. I did about a 50/50 venison pork mix, as I like a fatty and juicy stick. Next time I might drop my pork% some and see how that works out.

Being retired, my ability to chase good luck is not limited much, compared to my working years, and so I was happy indeed to accept an invite to Saskatchewan in October. Nothing makes better sausage than goose, and I have some now!
Tgoose.jpg

You can bring 24 of these big birds back, and while I was a bit shy of that my freezer looks good! I picked all of the birds, saved the down for pillows, and that thick fat skin will be key to fantastic smoked goose. However, my first effort with the birds was UMAI ginger salami using the Poli recipe. Here are the chubs during their 3 day initial oven fermenting stage:

Tsalami.jpg
I have high hopes for this batch, after my first UMAI sausage was such a hit. As Thanksgiving approaches, I am thankful at my good luck this fall, and look forward to trying a lot of new sausage recipes in the coming months!

Good job ! Nice Buck ,, and with a re-curve . Good lookin sticks . I don't bow hunt but I'll be in St. James area this weekend for rifle season . We cut ours also . Nice clean meat . I have buddies that hunt Lake St. Louis and Wildwood . Monsters in there .

Well done!!! Awesome buck and geese. Very impressive with a recurve, and a great way to get the blood pumping when they are 10 yards away! Only thing better than hunting the great animals is eating them, and you have made some super tasty looking snack sticks. I might take your approach on plucking some duck and geese feathers/down this coming duck season for some homemade pillows.

Here's what a fully downed honker looks like hagewood after the top feathers are removed. It's easy to ruff up the feathers and just pick them, leaving only down. You can then inspect the down to ensure its prime, with no pin feathers. If a few pin feathers you can pick those out, if very many it's not worth it. When the down is fully mature money can't buy the quality you can pick yourself. A down pillow out this stuff is the greatest gift you can give someone. Also, you can stuff extra down in coats or gloves. It's kind of a pain, but man is it worth it! Once you have a bag of down, put it in
Down.JPG

something like a pillow case or you can seal up and run it through a gentle wash and dry cycle. Then you can stuff it. Easier to spray the dry down with a mist to work with it. When you shoot a bird get it into the blind or other protected place to keep the feathers dry and clean before picking. I usually pick while I'm hunting to keep the mess outdoors.

Reactions: hagewood91
Here's what a fully downed honker looks like hagewood after the top feathers are removed. It's easy to ruff up the feathers and just pick them, leaving only down. You can then inspect the down to ensure its prime, with no pin feathers. If a few pin feathers you can pick those out, if very many it's not worth it. When the down is fully mature money can't buy the quality you can pick yourself. A down pillow out this stuff is the greatest gift you can give someone. Also, you can stuff extra down in coats or gloves. It's kind of a pain, but man is it worth it! Once you have a bag of down, put it in View attachment 343629
something like a pillow case or you can seal up and run it through a gentle wash and dry cycle. Then you can stuff it. Easier to spray the dry down with a mist to work with it. When you shoot a bird get it into the blind or other protected place to keep the feathers dry and clean before picking. I usually pick while I'm hunting to keep the mess outdoors.

Thanks for the insight! Season is just around the corner here in Tennessee. I will be in Missouri this weekend for opening weekend of rifle season. It truly is my favorite time of year!!! I very much so appreciate the tips and tricks. It ensures that after you pass it on to me, that I will learn and pass it on to someone else, and we can keep the hunting traditions alive!!!!

Awesome I'm happy for you and wish I could get some animals like those. I had a great year as well and the feezer is once again full with 7 animals worth of meat :)

Very cool,,, GREAT JOB WITH A TRAD BOW!!!! That is dedication,, I shoot trad but only 3D shoots,,, no way am I good enough to hunt with one yet. Nice job

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky