Hungarian kolbasz

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richtee

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 12, 2007
N. Oakland County, MI
Stinky garlic onion paprika sausage...

Will post recipe if there's interest "S-View" follows... ;{)

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6451872

About 12 lbs or so pork butt, ground coarse <1/4" plate>

All quantities are approxiate, as the amount of meat I end up with after grinding varies from time to time. I start about here, fry up a small patty and go from there. I guess I should nail it down tighter...I'll try in the next batch. I make it from the memory of the taste of the stuff my parents and grandparents bought in old Delray, Hunky Town in Detroit.

2 Tbsp. onion powder
3 Tbsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup Hungarian paprika
2 Tbsp. fresh cracked black pepper
Slightly less than the recommended Tenderquick- 10 Tspns.

Fry up a small bit and taste for salt... I add Kosher instead of more TQ. Flavor should be quite "garlicky/oniony" Careful with the grease..it'll stain a nice deep red/orange!

Stuff into 3/4 casings What...22MM I think? and let it rest in the fridge over night

Smoking:
Start in a low heat smoke till the casing starts to get a brown tinge, then increase heat gradually to attain 150-160 internal temp <I'd have to guess around 180-200 smoker temp.>

When done rinse in a cold water bath to cool quickly which helps "set" the structure of the sausage.

I like to let it hang for a couple days in a cool area to dry it out bit. As it's cured, refridgeration is not required, but it will slow the drying process. If left to hang, it'll get to an almost "hunter's sausage" consistancy...not bad, but I like it moister.

The new vac sealer is great...I get the sausage where I ike it and seal it...stays that way a LONG time in the fridge.

G'Ma would serve it to use kids as "Soldiers"- Cut squares of good Hungarian rye - close is Jewish rye-<NO SEEDS> and put a 1/4" slice on each square. Sometimes a chunk of sweet or medium hot Hungarian pepper <banana pepper> on top of 'em too

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky