Humidity

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tuckola

Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
How much does humidity effect smoking I put a 7.5 lb Boston butt on 14 hrs ago and running average temp at 235 and it is only at 178 deg now

Last edited:
what are you using as a thermometer?  I suspect if it's one that's in the smoker lid, they can be off quite a few degrees.

What are you smoking with?  Electric with chips, propane, an AMAZEN, logs, etc....

Pellets HATE humidity, but BUTTS are also tempermental...  The butt may take off and be done soon.  I've had 2-4 hours stalls on them before.

I'd bet you have a persnickity butt...  Propane and wood chunks aren't too picky, and if you're maintaining temp, you're ok.  If you need to hurry it along, wrap it in foil and let it go to shred temp.

I have done butts before but never had this happen before The butt was solid no splits the stall lasted 5 hrs

I just had this happen to me a few weeks ago. Had four 8lb average butts on after 13 hours or so the were barely 170 internal that's after running my smoker at 250 all day in good weather. Finally panned them covered with foil and put in the food keeper overnight and went to bed. Put them in the oven the next day at 250 and it still took 6 more hours. Of course they had to come back to temp first. Normally when I smoke butts it's never much longer than 12 hours to get to 205 and ready to rest.

Every once in awhile the art of bbq has to show you who's really in charge!
police2.gif

It took 22 hrs and turned out great. I had smoke going the whole time using hickory and black cherry.

It took 22 hrs and turned out great. I had smoke going the whole time using hickory and black cherry.
Sounds like a Great Finish---That's what counts!!
icon14.gif

The longer it takes, the more awesome light smoke you can put on it.
drool.gif

Bear

Meat can only take on so much smoke but If the end result was good that's the most important thing.   Down the road depending on the cooker you use butts won't take you anymore than 7-9 hours for 10-11 pounders and be perfect.    Love to see some Q-view

To your original question humidity is really a non factor as long as you're running the temp you want to run.  Humidity will make it harder to achieve the temps you want...just takes more energy to overcome the moisture in the air  is all.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky