HUGE HICKORY TREE - TONS OF WOOD AND WORK AHEAD (PICS ADDED)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
A few weeks ago a large Hickory tree had the large top blown out of it. This morning, I decided to cut the 20' + long main body down. Had a die doe (hole) that went from the stump all the way to the top of the main body.. This tree is on my land and it was about the same size when I was a kid. Surprised it remained healthy all these many years with the whole running through it. I broke out my 1975 STIHL FARM BOSS and got to work. Dad bought the saw when I was a senior in High School. Long, Logger grade bar added, as well as several carburetor kits through the years. She cuts better than what they sell now days. She will WALK AND TALK! It started raining so I stopped for now. Going to get some really good old Hickory out of it. The large main body is the same size all the way up. Will have enough to last for many years if stored properly. Perfect timing as I ran out of hickory last week. Got plenty of oak and pecan left though. I will post additional photos in a few days after I get it cut, split and stacked.

1975 STIHL FARM BOSS.jpg

1975 MODEL STIHL FARM BOSS

TOP BLEW OUT.jpg

TOP BLEW OUT

STUMP.jpg

STUMP

CUT 1.jpg

CUT 1

CUT 2.jpg

CUT 2
PULLED OUT 1.jpg

11/16/19
PULLED OUT.jpg

11/16/19
HALF THE TOP.jpg

11/16/19

Last edited:
Reactions: creek bottom
Seeing the hole and figure it goes all the way through, well have you every tried a bush stove? fire in center and cook above flames. I always wanted to try it myself....save some work too...lol.

Reactions: chopsaw
Seeing the hole and figure it goes all the way through, well have you every tried a bush stove? fire in center and cook above flames. I always wanted to try it myself....save some work too...lol.
I'm a country sort of a guy but never heard of that. What do you do and what is it?? Curious minds want to know. Please advise.

I think the hole might be too large for a bush stove...further up the log maybe?

I'm a country sort of a guy but never heard of that. What do you do and what is it?? Curious minds want to know. Please advise.
Not sure labeled it right but basically you build a fire in center of log and once it gets going good you use it for a stove. Need a hole at bottom (in ground or stump to furnish air for draft. Will burn hot and well for a long time. Not sure if you need a gap between say a ci pan and top but probably a good idea. Seen it on Alaska the last frontier or one of those type programs and though neat. Sort of same theory as jet stove

Not sure labeled it right but basically you build a fire in center of log and once it gets going good you use it for a stove. Need a hole at bottom (in ground or stump to furnish air for draft. Will burn hot and well for a long time. Not sure if you need a gap between say a ci pan and top but probably a good idea. Seen it on Alaska the last frontier or one of those type programs and though neat. Sort of same theory as jet stove
Hey thanks. Never heard of that. Sounds cool.

Had a big hickory go down at my Mom's 2 years ago . Still have a few sticks left . I use it for fire wood and to smoke in the wsm and kettles . Nice haul .
Seeing the hole and figure it goes all the way through, well have you every tried a bush stove? f
Had some oak like that . We just used it on a camp fire . That thing burned for hours ,,, like a dang torch .

Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
Had a big hickory go down at my Mom's 2 years ago . Still have a few sticks left . I use it for fire wood and to smoke in the wsm and kettles . Nice haul .

Had some oak like that . We just used it on a camp fire . That thing burned for hours ,,, like a dang torch .
Jet engine! LOL!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky