How to smoke a Bull!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Or not! My new Inlaws have me a book for Christmas that my Father in law bought back when he was in college and needed some cooking advice. Well he still needs some and I can see why now. The book he bought was George and Berthe Herter's "Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices.

If you have not picked up a copy of this recipe book I suggest that you do. Not for the recipes, but for the Humor. I can't say that I'll ever attempt any of the recipes, but one never knows. Good read!

Case -

That book is an absolute treasure. I was given a signed copy of it when I was in college, which was a long, long time ago. My very first cookbook. Though I haven't looked at it in years, it still resides on the bookshelf. The first thing I recall making from it were "Prairie Dogs Bat Masterson". Then came "Homemade Mayonnaise", which was a PITA. There's also a lot of helpful kitchen advice in there on topics such as "The Sioux Method Of Cracking Nuts". It's a great read, and you'll enjoy it.

BTW, at a later date my first wife gave me another one of Herter's books entitled "How To Live With A Bitch". It was appropriate.

Last edited:

Case -

That book is an absolute treasure. I was given a signed copy of it when I was in college, which was a long, long time ago. My very first cookbook. Though I haven't looked at it in years, it still resides on the bookshelf. The first thing I recall making from it were "Prairie Dogs Bat Masterson". Then came "Homemade Mayonnaise", which was a PITA. There's also a lot of helpful kitchen advice in there on topics such as "The Sioux Method Of Cracking Nuts". It's a great read, and you'll enjoy it.

BTW, at a later date my first wife gave me another one of Herter's books entitled "How To Live With A Bitch". It was appropriate.
I've really enjoyed thumbing through it, I haven't tried any of the recipes. Kind of funny when I open the book it always turns to the page with recipes for Cocktails. I know what my father-in-law was making the most out of the book!

Gentlemen, you crack me up! Now I want this book! Cheers! - Leah
YOu really should get a copy its a hoot!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky