How to set up an offset to cook overnight?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Japan_Dave_

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 26, 2020
Hey All,

How does everyone set up their offset smoker to run over night? How do you keep even temps with good fire management and clean smoke?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers Dave

You can't, offsets need fuel added roughly every hour.
Well, you can but the meat will taste like creosote because in order to last all night you have to fill the firebox and then shut the vents down to almost closed to prevent a 500 degree conflagration and then you end up with dark stinky smoke flavoring the meat all night.
Ask me how I know, well nevermind.
For overnight cooks you need a pellet spitter or a Kamado.
I have both and after testing use the pellet rig for overnight cooks.
Ran one cook on a packer brisket for 22 hours at 225 on it.

I figured as much. Looks like I am in for a sleepless night. Just wondered if there any tricks to get that extra bit of shut eye.

Thanks all.

Get your Offset out. Arrange a pile of Wood close at hand. Get you fire up to temp. Turn on appropriate Music. Crack first of several Adult Beverage Cans and settle in for the next 12 to 16 hours...Or...Do what Dave suggested...JJ

Can’t be done, just plan on spending the night tending to the fire!
I usually start at about 3:00 AM & run the smoker hot 270-280. Drink some coffee, and cook breakfast in a CI pan on the firebox. Next out comes the beer, keep feeding the fire & cook lunch on the firebox too. Buy mid afternoon and a few beers it’s getting close to done. It makes for a long day, but I usually do some yard work during the day, even with the beer. When the meat gets done, then I can relax & get into some serious drinking. The guests are arriving & everything is done & ready to eat.
Of course it always doesn’t go that simple, you may need to wrap the meat to get it done on time, or crank the fire up. I don’t do it too often, cause it’s so stressful, but I do get a good nights sleep when everybody goes home. Then there is the mess to clean up in the morning. But you do have the leftovers.
Al

I have put brisket and butts in the smoker for 5-6 hrs, wrapped and put in the oven with temp probe alarm set and go to bed until it wakes me up.
otherwise the only option is to babysit the damn thing, not bad if you like listening to crickets and other things that go bump in the night but can get boring.....

Reactions: Japan_Dave_
An offset that can go untended all night? Sounds like an opportunity for an inventor. It's easier to imagine than describe what my mind came up with.

Get the fire started and set. Rails at 60 degrees out the side of the firebox are loaded with wood splits. The rails have a spring lever to load wood one split at a time. A paddle door on the side near the top of the firebox opens on a timer with a cook-chamber temp control to both pre-heat and load the wood. The rail and the door load one pre-heated split at a time through the night. With one loader attached to each side of the firebox, synchonized timers could load from one side, then the other, doubling the away time.

Alarm clock and fire extinguisher extra. All residuals accepted. :emoji_sunglasses:

An offset that can go untended all night? Sounds like an opportunity for an inventor. It's easier to imagine than describe what my mind came up with.

Get the fire started and set. Rails at 60 degrees out the side of the firebox are loaded with wood splits. The rails have a spring lever to load wood one split at a time. A paddle door on the side near the top of the firebox opens on a timer with a cook-chamber temp control to both pre-heat and load the wood. The rail and the door load one pre-heated split at a time through the night. With one loader attached to each side of the firebox, synchonized timers could load from one side, then the other, doubling the away time.

Alarm clock and fire extinguisher extra. All residuals accepted. :emoji_sunglasses:

FYI we would love pics when you get it built

I got a name for it. A log pooper.

SmokinAl SmokinAl LOL! When was the last time You pulled an ALL NIGHTER, with BEER DRINKING all day!?! You ain't no Spring Chicken no more. :emoji_rooster::emoji_laughing:...JJ
[/QUOT

Your right JJ!
I’m no spring chicken, but I can still get it done!
Did one last winter!
It did take a couple of days to recover, but had some good times!
Al

Reactions: chef jimmyj
All my long smokes usually start at 4:30 am.
And they are done for supper.
I try and avoid all nighters if possible.
I normally get up at 5:30 so I am only losing an hours sleep.
I started at 2am this morning on a 12lbs peice of beef at 225. I does not look like a brisket but, is sure shaped like one (hard to find briskets in Japan, especially with Covid-19). Anyway, I am on my 10th hour and still deep into the stall. We will see how it goes.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky