1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

how to prepare fresh pork liver

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by streetguy, Feb 18, 2019.

1. streetguy

streetguy Newbie

We butchered a pig yesterday and I want to make some liverwurst. In the past Ive soaked the liver in a pan of water mainly because that seemed lived the thing to do. I wasn't happy with the results. the liver seemed water logged. I think Iam going to just rinse it this time. Whats everyone's thought or experience with this.

2. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

I've only turned liver into liver pate before. Which just has you do a rinse and ..well you cook it and puree it so...... well. I think it's likely close to the process for liverwurst?

3. I’ve never made any pork liver, but a guy I used to work with used to make something called
    “Scrapple” you may want to google that. It was pretty good.

4. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Liver can have a powerful iron flavor... I think soaking in milk can reduce iron bitterness...

I just read this while searching for "Preparing fresh liver"...
    Nutrition
    Some say there may be a growing health risk of contracting the E type hepatitis virus from undercooked pork liver, which can be fatal. Instances of this were identified in Japan in September 2004, at a restaurant where customers got to grill their own meats. Six people who preferred their Pork Liver rare contracted the virus; 1 died.

5. Nooo!!!

6. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nooo!!! to what ????????

7. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

We just slice it to about 1/4" thick and fry with onions making a gravy to go with it.

Warren

8. streetguy

streetguy Newbie

I ve made srapple or paun-has before it usually dosn't have liver in it.

Thanks Dave I 'll make sure and cook it up till temp. I'am actually plan on using my SUV to water bathe it. Some of the recipes call for simmering thee liver for 10-15 min before grinding it. The liver pudding is fully cooked before I grind it.

9. Oh okay, I thought he told me that it did. Maybe I should have googled it before suggesting.
    My apologies.

10. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Strong liver I have soaked in milk and a,splash of Soy Sauce with great results. The Duck liver I get is very mild, smells amazing RAW! Anyway, pork liver is pretty much a main flavor component of true Scrapple. I have wanted to try the Braunschwieger recipe below but just have not got around to it. Looks and sounds great...JJ

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/and-now-braunschweiger.120486/

11. HalfSmoked

I do not remember using the liver in our scrapple. The heart was used in souse.

Warren

12. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

2 things I find in Marianki that seem relevant. 1 only use 25-30% liver in the sausage and 2 to not cook but poach the liver for 8-10m in a 194F bath. He says to rinse liver for an hour in cold running water. My research into milk and liver is that milk is slightly acidic and helps a bit but no real science to support that it does anything. I have not but totally gonna make some someday as the store bought stuff is far too mild for my tastes. I remember the stuff I had as a kid was quite spicy like Pop's talks about in Cougers thread. Thanks for posting ChefJJ as I now realize I could probably find chicken liver more readily than anything.

LOL funny any liver thread someone brings up scrapple...

13. HalfSmoked

Strange I like pork and beef liver but do not care for poultry liver.

Warren

14. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I get mine online from a farm/supplier in Berks County, PA. ( Tastyduck.com). But if you ever have the opportunity to try Duck Liver, go for it. It is sweeter and much more mild than Chicken or Turkey Liver. Of course, if you have the funds, $75 a pound, there is no finer more flavorful liver than Duck Foie Gras! A crusty slice of French Bread, stacked with a thick heavily seared Filet Mignon, Rare. A 1/2" slice of seared Foie Gras, topped with a reduction of Veal Demi-Glace, Madeira and thin sliced Black Truffle, there are few meals better than Filet Rossini!...JJ

indaswamp likes this.
  15. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

With pork liver-rinse, remove the veins, and use it in your recipe.

16. chef jimmyj

Removing Veins is the worst part! I PI$$€D OFF an Exec. Chef I worked for one time. He made me Liver Boy for a month! Had to clean and portion 2 Calves Livers, twice a week PLUS, keep up with my regular station prep. The Veins started out the size of my thumb and just got smaller and smaller. You had to have nice looking slices so you could not just cut the Livers open to remove the Veins...JJ

17. indaswamp

But now you are an 'expert' liver boy!!!! LOL!!

18. HalfSmoked

Should not piss one of JJ. :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Warren

19. indaswamp

<drooling>
    I have not had that in a long time!!!!!

20. HalfSmoked

There are a lot of things that I have not had in a long time and that will remain one of them.

Warren

banderson7474 likes this.