How to handle natural casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would go ahead and start all of them. As soon as I get mine from B&P they get the water bowl treatment for a week then the non iodized salt and back to the fridge

I would go ahead and start all of them. As soon as I get mine from B&P they get the water bowl treatment for a week then the non iodized salt and back to the fridge
Thanks Joe,

I already did that. The casings from the Sausagemaker looked like yours, not like the ones DS has. I changed the water a couple of times already & they are looking a little silky already. I bought some purified salt from the sausagemaker a couple of years ago, because when I would struggle to get a couple of casings out of the container I would loose a lot of salt. I'm going to use that for the non-iodized salt. But I guess I could just use kosher salt. Didn't know that. A lot cheaper. But since I have it I guess I'll use the purified salt.

Thanks again

Al

This is one week since I started soaking the casings,,I changed the water at least once a day if not more

one week ago                                                                                          Last night 

View media item 448598  View media item 448599
They are starting to soften but will take a while just like Joe said. 

Joe,, how long do you figure on these and will they finally become silky like yours??  I am thinking at least two more weeks just a guess thou.

DS

I'm thinking 2 to 3 more weeks. Its making more sense to buy the more expensive casings packed in a salt solution. Next you'll have to see the quality of the casings. Any tabs, holes, size consistency and shorty shorts.....

Last edited:

I started a test about 2 months ago with LEM sheep's packed in salt and was going to post the results. It didn't go well. I soaked them for about 2 weeks and they were improving but were not getting saturated or softening. The were still discolored and they had something inside the casings that didn't get washed out during the processing. It may have been salt.. Not sure. I added some vinegar to the water and that's what ended the test. I checked a few days later and the casings swelled up and turned to rubber so I chucked the $18 casings and was going to try again.  Like to see what  DS  results are going to be and I dont have to spend another 18 bucks..............lol

popcorn.gif

I won't buy any LEM products ever again !!

I guess I got lucky, somewhere around here long ago, someone recommended B&P. I have used them ever since and never had a problem. Quality products, quick delivery (you get what you pay for), and easy navigation of site.

I guess I got lucky, somewhere around here long ago, someone recommended B&P. I have used them ever since and never had a problem. Quality products, quick delivery (you get what you pay for), and easy navigation of site.
That was probably me....they do have great quality. i use them all the time. Never a problem

I have only used Sausage Maker natural Hog Casings. I am not a fan of Chinese food products as well and would like to hear from those that have found and used an excellent quality "Made in the USA" product.

Thanks

Ferggie

I won't buy any LEM products ever again !!
I just bought the sheep's from them a few weeks ago and after all the shorts, rips and tears I threw them out. What a waste of $$.
Sounds like you bought the "Home user" pack or what ever they call it....   It is made up of odds and ends... 

Going to make some dried summer sausage salami and it calls for beef middles for casings. I purchased these from the sausagemaker also. Would you handle preparing these the same way? 

Great Info and tutorial Joe,  That helps a lot of us   
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

points1.png

Gary

Sorry guys,,,been having alot of irons in the fire,,, this has been 4+  weeks since I started soaking the salt packed casings as earlier in the thread

View media item 455015  View media item 455016
As you can see not hardly a difference since I opened the pack.. I rinsed these every night for 3 weeks the last week or so was same water,, but you could not smell any salt in the water so I know they were rinsed well.

As far as I conclude these are going to get chucked,, I will keep them for the next couple of days if anyone has some input let me know and I will give it a try. 

Thanks, Joe you have been great in this little project guiding me along. I asked Joe about the vinegar and he advised against it,, he already tried that trick and did not work. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

Reactions: boykjo
DS, I was wondering if you flushed the inside out with water. To me it seems to speed up the process of softening them.

Thats weird.  Were they refrigerated?  They should turn silky white after a week or so.  Not sure what happened there.  Were they submerged?

Sorry guys,,,been having alot of irons in the fire,,, this has been 4+  weeks since I started soaking the salt packed casings as earlier in the thread

View media item 455015  View media item 455016
As you can see not hardly a difference since I opened the pack.. I rinsed these every night for 3 weeks the last week or so was same water,, but you could not smell any salt in the water so I know they were rinsed well.

As far as I conclude these are going to get chucked,, I will keep them for the next couple of days if anyone has some input let me know and I will give it a try. 

Thanks, Joe you have been great in this little project guiding me along. I asked Joe about the vinegar and he advised against it,, he already tried that trick and did not work. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS
What gives? Did they revert? Post #63 shows more change after the first week of soaking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky