How to Build a Mailbox Mod for an MES Smoker (pic heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Do you think it helps the tray keep going... your burn times ?? I'm really trying to get the tray to work really like the smoke output while it's going especially for cheese and such

Yes, I believe it does. I've never lost the smoke with it. Smoke times? Full tray around 10 hours. And with the mail box mod. It is easier to refill if you need more time.

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
Would something like this work or directly into the smoker

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200312-080046.png
    Screenshot_20200312-080046.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 28
Thanks guys for all of your help..I might of gained some ground tonight but it's pretty damp out a little rain.....the tubes are working well with dust and pellets both the 12,6 inch the tray I can keep going with a fan blowing into the mailbox so for now I think I have a handle on it all the help is greatly appreciated..I wish I had some cheese with the great smoke going right now

I did cheese last night and the tray stopped about half way through a row with pellets and the mailbox mod and fan going any other ideas or is my altitude going to be the problem..I finished with the tube

I did cheese last night and the tray stopped about half way through a row with pellets and the mailbox mod and fan going any other ideas or is my altitude going to be the problem..I finished with the tube

Can't say for sure, but the AMNPS Stopping & the Tube keeping on going is a symptom of high altitude.
I would try that Fan in the duct between the MES & the Mailbox if at all possible.

Bear

This maybe an altitude problem. And increasing air flow should do the trick. My only concern with the duct fan would be all the smoke and other gunk plugging up the motor on the fan. Which is why I went with the muffin fan pushing air into the mail box.

I just used 4" flex without elbows 4ft long. I think you get better draft with the larger diameter and shorter length. No noticeable heat gets to the chamber. The mailbox I got at Home Depot isn't galvanized. Painted on the outside but not the inside. Drilled a few holes in the bottom for air and it sits on a 2" high stand. With the unused mounting holes for the flag that's enough to keep it burning.
I can pull my expandable 12" tube out to around 14" and it works fine. IMG_1429.JPG
I'd be interested in seeing your setup when it's complete, smoking4fun!

I tried the mailbox on the ground on a shelf six holes drilled in door... muffin fan in front of door still can't keep the pan 5x 8 going.. tubes work ... pellets a little bit to much smoke...dust and chips seem pretty good maybe a little light on smoke...new pellets dried doesn't seem to matter

Attachments

• IMG_20200311_044724500.jpg
    IMG_20200311_044724500.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200309_164133907.jpg
    IMG_20200309_164133907.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 20
A low-tech way of increasing the airflow would be to place a 3" connection or elbow over your vent to create more draw. Heck, even a soup can with both ends removed would work.
DSCF0374.JPG

Kevin , you say the tube works but you think it's to much smoke . Do you base this on a visual or actual taste ? If you're going by looks , fire up the tube , throw a couple pieces of white bread in there and see what kind of color it takes on . Just a thought .

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
The taste on my first cheese was like an ashtray...in less than an hour it never mellowed that was pellets I can't see into the smoker.... with dust it's pretty good actually on the light side the stuff I did last night I'm eating today..how long for the bread test

The taste on my first cheese was like an ashtray...in less than an hour it never mellowed that was pellets I can't see into the smoker.... with dust it's pretty good actually on the light side the stuff I did last night I'm eating today..how long for the bread test

Is my idea Dumb???
I mentioned twice about trying the fan within the duct, to suck the air through the Mailbox, past the AMNPS. If the fan is adjustable, I don't see why that wouldn't work.
Is there a reason you won't try that?

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky