How Much Meat to Buy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BTX49

Original poster
Jan 27, 2024
OK, I'm about to order some carry-out BBQ from the local pit restaurant. Yeah, I know I should do it myself but I don't have the time that day and besides I've got a use-it-or-lose-it gift card so I'll be ordering! I'll be feeding 10 people who love barbecue. I plan to get some sausage, baby back ribs, and of course brisket. My wife will be making beans, cornbread and a salad. So my question is: How much of each type of meat should I plan to order? Leftovers are always good.

Apologies if something similar has been asked before but I'm still learning my way around the forums.

Reactions: JLeonard
"They" say rule of thumb, is a third of a pound per person... But I know when I cook for a group of people, the last thing I want is to run out when there are still hungry folks. Maybe you can use that as a guide as you might have a better understanding of your crowds appetite.

I'm in the more is better camp. People can always take leftovers home and they usually love to if its good food!

Hard to say without knowing the crowd. For 10 adults I would probably say 3-4 pounds of sausage and brisket with 3-4 racks of ribs. That should be way more than enough for any group except for maybe a deer camp full of guys that have been drinking beer all day.

Well, we had our feast. Six lbs of brisket, three lbs of sausage and three racks of ribs. Everyone ate their fill and we've got a few leftovers.

Thanks to all who responded. I enjoyed the variety of opinions!!

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky