How many??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You'll do fine, we'll be here if ya need us!
cool.gif

All ready for the smoker...

Smoker warming up...almost time

On smoker at 10pm

Getting next batch of coals ready..

Sitting at 145Degrees at 2:30....this is going to be a long night/day

Its actually quite hard in the big city to find pork that hasnt been solutionized. I use em all the time and they cook up just fine. I can deal with the solution in my pork, maybe even in my turkey if im gonna cook it in the oven. I will not tolerate the solution in my beef however. Ever uy those rib eye steaks that are like 8 for like 15 bucks? they got the juice, there is certainly a tenderizer in there as well. Beef just dont come back from that. It sure is a drag that I have to hunt for the good stuff.

The 'solution' is basically hydrolyzed water (water with a little plant starch in it.. "All natural") meant to up the weight 8% - it doesn't add any flavoring at all and won't affect the outcome. It's to keep the meat plump and pressed against the COV so there's no voids or leakage. Go ahead and rub and smoke and cook, you won't tell the difference.

If you've got some others locally that smoke, see about going to a local packer or meat wholesaler and buying a box of butts (usually 8-10 butts) and divvying 'em up and paying wholesale price. They *should* be parchment wrapped (at least they were 10 yrs. ago) but who knows today.. they all may be COV and given a water shot. Nice thing tho is you can ask the desk how they're packed and if they've been tampered with.

As far as measurement goes, I'd say 3 butts for you and 1 for the party would be good, wouldn't you??
biggrin.gif

Those picnic roasts looked pretty good, but uh,,, if it worked out great you'd have at least some leftovers..
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

My wife came home from shopping today with a shoulder roast... I sort of looked at her like....well, anyways to save herself she pulled out a nice brisket as well.... I GOT MEAT AGAIN....
biggrin.gif

From what I've read the picnic roast is pretty good...

Looks great congrats on a job well done
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky