how many ribs needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin J

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
just west of st Louis
I was going to make beef ribs this weekend but didn't give my meat guy enough time so going to do Cardinals aka (St Louis style ribs a smart ass birds on the bats fan) will have 6 adults 5 good eaters how many racks should I make. i will also have smoked macand cheese and a chuck roast. thanks in advance

Last edited:
St.Louis ribs are all neatly trimmed and non-messy finger food. <Chuckles> Think about it, have you ever cooked too many ribs? How many can you get on the pit? How much do you really like these guys to share? LOL

I guess 6 racks could be enough with a chuck roast and lots of mac & cheese......

Reactions: Kevin J and nanuk
Last time I did 6 racks at once, my Bar-B-Que caught fire! :emoji_astonished:
It was just about half a rack too much. Covered the grill, and it isn't small.

Generally, I plan on 1/2 rack per person. But I cut mine on the grill as I take them off.
Then let folks pick what they'd like.
I think like Flatbroke, the roast will fill in any empty corners. :emoji_wink:

Kevin, don't forget to cook some chef snacks while you're while you're smoking.
Chicken thighs, sausages or something nice that you can snack on in the middle of the cook.
Bacon wrapped onion rings
Atomic Buffalo Turds
Stuffed chicken breasts
CSRs
Very good point and a nice beverage or 2

There is next to no meat on beef ribs. 4 bones per person is about right...JJ

Reactions: Kevin J
I plan on half a rack per person but my buddies are "healthy" eaters and then some. For the four of us I do five racks so I have some left overs for me. But it also depends on when they show up, If it's before I also cook simple snacks for them to nibble on then I have more ribs left over but if it is after the ribs are done. Not as much left over so I have gotten to the point where I smoke some other "snacks" to help fill us up.

Reactions: Kevin J
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky