How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just picked up a 40" MES with a window from Cabela's a couple days ago. I noticed in-store that the 30" MES had the bigger wood burning tray and low and behold when I got home and checked this site there was info about users calling up Masterbuilt customer support and getting the larger wood burning tray and loader shipped for free. So yesterday morning I did just that, sat on hold for about 5-7 minutes and after 5 minutes of talking to a nice CSR named Jay she had the larger tray and loader kit on it's way to me via USPS! Free of charge of course, I always say "anything free is worth saving up for!".

I've only had a chance to smoke a small chicken to break it in yesterday for lunch with a nice Jamaican Jerk Rub I picked up from the butcher. I plan on doing a little pork butt tonight and then Tuesday going all out and smoking eight butts in her for an event I'm providing the Pulled Pork for. That aught to break her in!
32.gif

Anyone name their MES yet? I'm thinking of calling mine "Princess Pork Pie" 'cause she's kinda a stout little lady lol!
laugh1.gif

I'll have pics soon!

i love mine i smoke all the time use the a-maze-n smoker to cold smoke cheese and dehydrate my garden stuff. Love my smoked peppers on pizza and in soups

I got mine at Sams week and a half ago, great smoker for me. Smoked 2 briskets, corn and Jalapeno poppers on it last weekend, family loved it and father in law requested Brisket for his Birthday so Im more than happy with it. Gonna do a couple of small pork tenderloins this afternoon and some more corn
biggrin.gif

MES 40 w/window

I just realized that my 30" MES is 1650 watts.  I will no longer entertain an LP unit or a charcoal burner. I even had a stick burner in the past. No more open flames for me. No more gas tanks. No grease flare-ups; not that I ever had one. I scrub the beast after every use. This is my 4th smoker in over 40 years.

$160 from [email protected]   Fantastic to do business with.

Here's the story.......UPS delivered it in the rain and left it outside in the rain. I found it when I arrived home. I e-mailed River Country at 7:10 p.m. and wrote what had transpired.

Their young lady telephoned me that night and was on my line before an hour had passed.

She said, "Do not touch the box. I contacted UPS and they will pick it up in the morning. Without seeing it, I am sending you a new one tomorrow".

Man!  You can't beat that service.

Hang on.....guess what happened by 9:20 p.m..

9:20 p.m., UPS telephoned me and said, "Do not touch the box. We are picking it up before noon".

10:10 a.m. UPS was here and gone with the soggy box.

Now let me explain that I live in the mountains of NY, beyond civilization. UPS has to come 85 miles to get here.

Two days after the soggy delivery, I had a new smoker that was shipped from I believe Wisconsin.

Shop [email protected]. google their site.

I bought my extra grates from them at a GOOD price.

So! Am I happy? You bet!  I set the analog at 225 and hours & hours & hours later,....it's still at 225. No computer/digital crappola to go bonkers. It's a great basic machine. 

You asked.....I've told you.
58ac1789_goodasnew005.jpg
b48ea928_goodasnew006.jpg
 The "MAN-CAVE"

Just picked up a 40" MES with a window from Cabela's a couple days ago. I noticed in-store that the 30" MES had the bigger wood burning tray and low and behold when I got home and checked this site there was info about users calling up Masterbuilt customer support and getting the larger wood burning tray and loader shipped for free. So yesterday morning I did just that, sat on hold for about 5-7 minutes and after 5 minutes of talking to a nice CSR named Jay she had the larger tray and loader kit on it's way to me via USPS! Free of charge of course, I always say "anything free is worth saving up for!".

I've only had a chance to smoke a small chicken to break it in yesterday for lunch with a nice Jamaican Jerk Rub I picked up from the butcher. I plan on doing a little pork butt tonight and then Tuesday going all out and smoking eight butts in her for an event I'm providing the Pulled Pork for. That aught to break her in!
32.gif

Anyone name their MES yet? I'm thinking of calling mine "Princess Pork Pie" 'cause she's kinda a stout little lady lol!
laugh1.gif

I'll have pics soon!
You said they sent you a loader too?  I thought they sent just the firebox

I put some charcoal briquettes in my MES with the wood chips to start the smoke process.

I do not understand your not getting the "flavor" you were looking for with the MES.

(?). 

Flavour comes from marinade. We marinade.

Flavour comes from rub. We rub.

Flavour comes from wood smoke. We apply wood smoke.

What is the, "flavor" are you missing or looking for?

Charcoal to me, seems to be inconsequential.

I have read that electric does not build a, "smoke ring".............. but "flavor"?

On an open grill, I can see charcoal adding the flavor that LP and electric does not but a box-smoker with smoking wood, is a horse of a different colour.

huh.gif

I agree. I sure get the flavor with my MES 30" digital. I did screw up my first attempt at brisket yesterday with it but I don't blame the MES. It was just a tough piece of buffalo I got from Cosco. A 2.7 pound piece took about 11 hours to get to 182* IT so it was dry. Even so the flavor is amazing. Also I goofed and let the water pan go dry.

In the end I still enjoyed the smoke. The little MES has found a place in my heart. 

Ahoy Captain!  You have to keep water in the bilge as I do with a baking pan. I begin with it in place and fill it with a pot of boiling water so that it already has a head of steam. Of course I also have an external smoke generator that I made from a pressure cooker but the rig sails along for 10+ hours without my being at the helm. An aluminum cookie sheet

floating inside the pan and with some hole punched, recirculates some of the  steam and keeps it sailing without my being at the helm. I also use a big speckled ware roasting pan with some holes drilled in the cover. You can always find these in thrift stores, as hardly anyone uses them anymore.  
a33c3226_drippans001.jpg

I got the MES30 from QVC a while back and so far it's kept me happy. I wish it had a bigger wood tray but it does the trick. Everything I smoke comes out super moist which I love except for when I'm doing ABT's. I have a modified Luhr Jensen that is specifically for ABT's. I would buy another MES if mine stopped working. May buy another one just for the extra cook space.

Good Grief.

A Master built smoker is a glorified oven that smokes. $350.00 plus shiping us PWB just cannot afford it.

Little more that that, but pretty simple design

Actually the best deal is $299 for a 40" MES at SAMS Club, or $349(On Sale) at Cabelas for the "All Stainless" model

You can smoke in a cardboard box if you want

Todd

You can get the 30" MES Digital at Sears.com for $200.99 + $22 for shipping. And if you have a coupon from sears for free shipping or some other discount it becomes even cheaper!

Is that digital for 200.99 from Sears the wireless model (remote control)? If so that is a screaming deal. I don't regret paying 289.00 delivered from Amazon. Only had it a few months and have cooked a whole lot on it already. I would not want to be without it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky