How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a 20070210, not a 20070910 so I'll have to google to see what the difference is; unless someone here can break-in on this?

I bought my 40'' at Sam's Club on Fathers day.  I have smoked four - 8-10 lb butts and a 20lb spatchcoked turkey that was marinated in cramberry pomegranate juice.  At this point I think it has been great and extremely easy to use.  Don't have to worry about temp spikes, the wheels make it easy to use and the remote is awsome.  It is nice to be able to put my butt's in before I go to bed after a few hours of smoke and wake up to an almost finished pulled pork.  If you need anyone to babysit your pork butt's you MES will do it without any problems. I love to grill, but a few hours of drinking was just not enough.  Now with the MES 10-12 hours of drinking and smoking is exactly what I neededed.  Awsome and no problems so far. 

I love to grill, but a few hours of drinking was just not enough.  Now with the MES 10-12 hours of drinking and smoking is exactly what I needed. 
Life is Good!!!
thumb1.gif
Smoke is Good!!!

Im a newbie. Just got my MES 40 at Academy last weekend, seasoned it, and will do baby backs first smoke this weekend .

Im a newbie. Just got my MES 40 at Academy last weekend, seasoned it, and will do baby backs first smoke this weekend .

That's Great Jim!!!

When you get a chance, stroll over to the "Roll Call" section (forum), and introduce yourself, so we can all give you a good welcome.

Meanwhile----Welcome Jim !!!

Bear

I bought my 40" at Sam's specifically for sausage, jerky, and que when I don't want to have to play pit bitch all day.

I have a Kingfisher stickburner and WSM and love them both, but the electric is much easier to handle for the jobs I specifically bought it for.

Oh yeah, I just ordered a Smoking Pistol smoke generator that will be used for "cold" smoking with this cooker.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get a retro kit.  Emailed MBTechGuy and Masterbuilt a few times and haven't received a reply.  It's extremely difficult to call them during the week with my work schedule.  How do I go about getting a retro kit without taking a day off of work to call them?

I'm trying to get a retro kit.  Emailed MBTechGuy and Masterbuilt a few times and haven't received a reply.  It's extremely difficult to call them during the week with my work schedule.  How do I go about getting a retro kit without taking a day off of work to call them?
If you PM'd MBTechguy, he should get back to you----Try again.

He's a very busy guy, and sometimes is out of the country for weeks.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting through to them.

I feel your pain.

Bear

Finally was able to contact them by phone.  The tech said they would send me a kit and it would take about 7 days to receive it.  no response by email.

I have a walmart wood smoker and have been considering an electric one. I have noticed how many MES owners there are but looking at them I am not sure about using it for large pieces of meat. Has anybody gone from a wood to an electric? I am concerened about the flavor. Everybody loves what I do now. Would it be a mistake to go electric? I read a lot about the MES and it seams like there are problems with the element. I can't see spending upwards of $300 just to have problems and not get the same flavor.

I've been using a stickburner for years. I like my MES for what I do with it. I have done 35# of pork butt and was pleased with the taste. It was different in the amount of smoke I get from my oak/pecan or hickory fire, but the ease of cooking for that particular batch was well worth the "sacrifice". I use the electric mostly for bacon and sausage.

I also have a WSM but haven't used it in a while.

If you like what you've got then upgrade to something larger and with more steel. 

Remember the old saying "It's not the cooker. It's the cook!!" Learn to use all kinds of rigs - it'll pay off in the end.

I have a walmart wood smoker and have been considering an electric one. I have noticed how many MES owners there are but looking at them I am not sure about using it for large pieces of meat. Has anybody gone from a wood to an electric? I am concerened about the flavor. Everybody loves what I do now. Would it be a mistake to go electric? I read a lot about the MES and it seams like there are problems with the element. I can't see spending upwards of $300 just to have problems and not get the same flavor.
$173.54 with free shipping at Amazon right now!!!!  

Chad said it well. I don't have a wood burner, but my Son does. I guess you could say wood burners can turn out a little better tasting product, but not so much better IMO that it justifies this old Bear to put up a fight trying to keep temps right throughout the smoke. I have smoked 3 Prime Ribs (and hundreds of other things) on my MES 40, and all 3 were by far the best Prime Ribs I have ever had----How much better could a Prime Rib be without it being classified as a sin?

Bear

Reactions: tromaron
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky