How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just picked up the 40" w/ Window and BT from Sam's. This is my first smoker and I am looking forward to breaking it in. Going to order a AMNPS w/ a variety pack of pellets and break this bad boy in right!!!

Just picked up the 40" w/ Window and BT from Sam's. This is my first smoker and I am looking forward to breaking it in. Going to order a AMNPS w/ a variety pack of pellets and break this bad boy in right!!!

Congrats on the new Q toy ! Take your elevation into consideration when doing the AMNPS & pellets.... At higher elevations it can be difficult to use the pellets with the AMNPS ! My elevation here is just shy of 5,000 ft & I have to use the sawdust ! I tried & tried to keep the pellets lit but just didn't happen ! Just a little FYI for ya !

Congrats on the new Q toy ! Take your elevation into consideration when doing the AMNPS & pellets.... At higher elevations it can be difficult to use the pellets with the AMNPS ! My elevation here is just shy of 5,000 ft & I have to use the sawdust ! I tried & tried to keep the pellets lit but just didn't happen ! Just a little FYI for ya !
Thanks for the info, I never thought about elevation issues. I'm at 1,300 ft so I hope elevation won't be a problem for me.

I've been reading about thermometers and it sounds like I should get one to go along with the MES and AMNPS to really get the most out of my smoker.

Congrats on the new Q toy ! Take your elevation into consideration when doing the AMNPS

Thanks for the info, I never thought about elevation issues. I'm at 1,300 ft so I hope elevation won't be a problem for me.

I've been reading about thermometers and it sounds like I should get one to go along with the MES and AMNPS to really get the most out of my smoker.

Yea, you'll be good ! I have a Maverik ET-732 & igrill2.... I like them both !

Okay, so I had a problem with my AMNPS 5x8 in my 40" MES...If I placed the AMNPS closer to the heating element (under the drip pan), to keep it from getting dripped on, the heat from the element cycling would light whatever side of the AMNPS that was closest to it. If I moved the AMNPS all the way to the left side, the product would drip on the AMNPS and extinguish the pellets. Here's what I came up with...

Just a little coat hanger wire and a square of aluminum foil...wide open on the ends and about an inch away from the sides of the AMNPS...makes the AMNPS look like a little Conestoga wagon...hehehe...PROBLEM SOLVED!

I got my 30" (no window, digital controller on top) just before Memorial Day weekend, we were throwing a party to celebrate the anniversary of our engagement and mostly we just wanted an excuse to throw a big party and it seemed like a good time to do it.

For my first cook in it, I made turkey bacon wrapped brats and chicken breasts and thighs.  I was really impressed with the size, capacity and how easy it was to reach everything.  My previous smoker was a Brinkmann and I really didn't like the lack of temperature control and how difficult it could be to access the food or add more wood if needed.  Also, it's smaller size was a hindrance.  I certainly got value out of it and it was a great 'starter' smoker.

I picked mine up at Amazon for $160 and I think I'm going to get the cold smoke attachment.

I got my 30" (no window, digital controller on top) just before Memorial Day weekend, we were throwing a party to celebrate the anniversary of our engagement and mostly we just wanted an excuse to throw a big party and it seemed like a good time to do it.

For my first cook in it, I made turkey bacon wrapped brats and chicken breasts and thighs.  I was really impressed with the size, capacity and how easy it was to reach everything.  My previous smoker was a Brinkmann and I really didn't like the lack of temperature control and how difficult it could be to access the food or add more wood if needed.  Also, it's smaller size was a hindrance.  I certainly got value out of it and it was a great 'starter' smoker.

I picked mine up at Amazon for $160 and I think I'm going to get the cold smoke attachment.
That's the same deal I got from Amazon, but a few months ago..  I'm loving it..  since I got it, I've already smoked a couple of briskets, some keilbasa and a bunch of stuffed pork loins and a bunch of chicken parts.. I highly recommend you pick up the AMNPS..  shoveling chips in the smoker tray is okay for short smokes.. but if you're doing anything longer than a few hours, it gets to be a drag. 

If you get an AMNPS, make sure you pull the chip tray out an inch and the trip chute out halfway, and cover the AMNPS with sheet of foil to keep the grease from dripping on it.

Have FUN!  and keep Smokin'!  :)

I have a 40" MES and love it. Initially had problems with the temperature - using an oven thermometer I found it was low by about 20 degrees. MB sent me a new control unit, and now it works much better. We also got the cold smoker attachment which we use every time we smoke. It will do 4-6 hours with wood chips and eight hours or more on a fill with pellets, which is great for brisket, large pieces of pork, et. al. We've been using it now for 2 years and every single cook has been awesome. Got it at Amazon with Prime - free two-day shipping and cheaper than Sam's Club.

I have a 40" MES and love it. Initially had problems with the temperature - using an oven thermometer I found it was low by about 20 degrees. MB sent me a new control unit, and now it works much better. We also got the cold smoker attachment which we use every time we smoke. It will do 4-6 hours with wood chips and eight hours or more on a fill with pellets, which is great for brisket, large pieces of pork, et. al. We've been using it now for 2 years and every single cook has been awesome. Got it at Amazon with Prime - free two-day shipping and cheaper than Sam's Club.
Buying from Amazon will save on sales tax in some States. However on the new Bluetooth smokers, Amazon is currently $468 after being $369 a few days ago and it has no legs, whereas Sams is $330 and it includes legs and rollers on the legs.

I have a 30" MES with window - 800 W

I got it at QVC - they had a deal for $300 - the smoker plus a bunch of extras:  cover, rib rack, chicken stand, meat gloves.  

I had no luck whatsoever with the Amazin Pellet Smoker thingy. May be an elevation issue - we're at 4500' or so. Ended up buying the cold smoking attachment (Amazon, again!) and we use it for all of our smoking. Couple of things to be aware of....
1. I've used both wood chips and pellets, and both produce lots of smoke. When using wood chips, I sort through and break up the larger ones to make the chips into smaller, lighter pieces. That helps keeping the chips from jamming in the chute. Don't pack them in - they'll get stuck. An occasional "stir" with the end of a wooden spoon helps keep them dropping to the heat element. Pellets work great, don't get stuck in the chute, and, with a complete "fill" of the chute last about 8 hours, great for an overnight smoke. If you are in a damp climate, unburned pellets will swell in the chute. Easy to clean out, but a waste of pellets. I "guesstimate" how much pellets I need for a particular smoke, then add if necessary. Since you're not opening the smoker door, it doesn't affect the cook time at all.
2. Don't plug both units into the same electrical circuit, and keep extension cords as short as possible. Be sure to use heavy duty extension cords if you need them.
3. Remove the chip tray from the smoker when using the cold-smoking attachment to increase the amount of smoke. I start with the upper vent wide open, then once smoke is well established, shut it half-way.
4. Try to use pellets made of only your chosen type of wood. Many of the cheaper pellets are mixes of woods and junk to hold them together.
5. Because you do not have to open the door of the MES to dump the chip/ash tray, you can keep the smoker closed the entire time it's cooking. No more 24 hour briskets! I use a Maverick 733 model meat/grill thermometer which has two probes. Once I cooked 3 briskets at the same time and used the Maverick for 2 of the pieces and the MES probe with the third. Remotes are wonderful things!!
6. To make it easier to access the smoker, we purchased the 40" stand. An upside down 5 gallon bucket with a piece of wood on it makes a good support for the cold-smoker unit since it "hangs" off the MES. Since the stand doesn't have wheels, hubby built a bottom platform using a flat moving dolly. Works great!

Can't take credit for all these ideas - most were from Amazon reviews, other forums, creative/crafty friends, et. al. Hope these help someone.

I had no luck whatsoever with the Amazin Pellet Smoker thingy. May be an elevation issue - we're at 4500' or so. Ended up buying the cold smoking attachment (Amazon, again!) and we use it for all of our smoking. Couple of things to be aware of....
1. I've used both wood chips and pellets, and both produce lots of smoke. When using wood chips, I sort through and break up the larger ones to make the chips into smaller, lighter pieces. That helps keeping the chips from jamming in the chute. Don't pack them in - they'll get stuck. An occasional "stir" with the end of a wooden spoon helps keep them dropping to the heat element. Pellets work great, don't get stuck in the chute, and, with a complete "fill" of the chute last about 8 hours, great for an overnight smoke. If you are in a damp climate, unburned pellets will swell in the chute. Easy to clean out, but a waste of pellets. I "guesstimate" how much pellets I need for a particular smoke, then add if necessary. Since you're not opening the smoker door, it doesn't affect the cook time at all.
2. Don't plug both units into the same electrical circuit, and keep extension cords as short as possible. Be sure to use heavy duty extension cords if you need them.
3. Remove the chip tray from the smoker when using the cold-smoking attachment to increase the amount of smoke. I start with the upper vent wide open, then once smoke is well established, shut it half-way.
4. Try to use pellets made of only your chosen type of wood. Many of the cheaper pellets are mixes of woods and junk to hold them together.
5. Because you do not have to open the door of the MES to dump the chip/ash tray, you can keep the smoker closed the entire time it's cooking. No more 24 hour briskets! I use a Maverick 733 model meat/grill thermometer which has two probes. Once I cooked 3 briskets at the same time and used the Maverick for 2 of the pieces and the MES probe with the third. Remotes are wonderful things!!
6. To make it easier to access the smoker, we purchased the 40" stand. An upside down 5 gallon bucket with a piece of wood on it makes a good support for the cold-smoker unit since it "hangs" off the MES. Since the stand doesn't have wheels, hubby built a bottom platform using a flat moving dolly. Works great!

Can't take credit for all these ideas - most were from Amazon reviews, other forums, creative/crafty friends, et. al. Hope these help someone.
YUP----4500' is Pretty high for an AMNPS to function properly.

You should have gotten the Amazing "Tube" smoker. That's the one recommended for high altitudes, but you're happy with what you got, so just enjoy.

Bear

YUP----4500' is Pretty high for an AMNPS to function properly.
You should have gotten the Amazing "Tube" smoker. That's the one recommended for high altitudes, but you're happy with what you got, so just enjoy.

Bear

Yes, I'am just short of 5,000'. I tried the pellets with no luck of them staying lit... But tried the dust & it works awesome ! Get ya some dust ! Thumbs Up

I work on industrial woodworking machinery and have had a chance to work on one manufacturers fire log and pellet machines , both machines used a fine mist spray of water

and a whole bunch of hydraulic pressure to force the saw dust through the dies . It's actually cool the way those two machines work , there is so much force behind the ram that that fine mist of water is all that it needs to hold the pellets together . Sorry about the highjack but had to get my two cents in about the pellets.

I just received a 40" Gen 3 electric with Bluetooth from my wonderful with from Sam. I also has a stand with wheels that really make it nice. Learning on it will be fun can't wait to get Smokin'.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky