How Many BUTTS have you stuffed into the 22 for a single smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

badjujumatt

Original poster
May 29, 2015
Kids grad party is coming up and I am doing butts on the WSM 22. I am planning on 8 butts, and want to jam 4 into the WSM at a time. Havent done this before so I am not sure if my smoke data will apply with cook times and temps. I am thinking it may take longer and more fuel. Looking for some feedback if you have done 4 or more butts in the WSM 22 at one time.

Also, I am planning on crutching. I have only wrapped them individually but I am thinking about dropping 2 into a large foil pan and covering that up. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Four butts will easily fit in your WSM. I've had 6 in mine at one time. And yes 2 in a pan will work nicely.

As for time, it's about the same as for 1 butt. The only difference will be when you put 4 in at one time it will take the smoker longer to come back up to temp., so your smoke time may increase by a half hour or so.

Al

I've done 6 with no problem. 3 on each rack. I think if you stand them on end you could do all 8 depending on size. Time remains about the same, you will use more fuel though.

Thanks for the info guys! I will post pics as the butts do their thing.

4 in a 22", no problem.  I do 4 large 9-10 pounds butts in my 18.5" WSM all the time. I put 2 on each smoking grate. Should be a breeze in a 22" and you might be able to get them all on the top grate (depending on butt size).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky