How Many Butts can you cook in a Char Griller Pro W/SFB at One Time? Tne Answer Is 5.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom c

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Orlando, FL
It looks like I could place six on the grill with extra space and two or three on the warming rack. The temp on the warming rack is close to the same as on the grill..

Last edited:
6 for sure. Is there enough room with the warming rack in smoker?
(I took mine out wnen i did my first turkey)
Do u have baffles set up to keep the temp the same from one side to the other ? If not the firebox side could be 100 degrees hotter

Definitely six. I took the warming rack out too. Ditto on the baffle comment. You will have to rotate your butts.

Depending on their size, I once estimated 9 if the warming rack is used. Not that I have actually done it.

My drip pans give a baffle effect, so I have no problem with heat from side to side.

Good luck and good smoking.

Is this a contest?
No contest. I was planning on cooking 8 butt over two day, 4 at a time, but I may not have two day that weekend. So I am tring to figure out if I could, or if anyone has, cooked 8 at one time in a  Char Griller Pro W/SFB. Or should I cook 4 the weekend before and freeze them and 4 the next weekend. Or should I the all 8 the weekend before 4 at a time and freeze them till the next weekend.

I'd think you are very safe with 6, but, if you think you have the uneven heat problem under control, I bet you could do all 8.  Might be worth a try.  I would make sure to rotate in the smoker and temp check all of them before you take them off.  Just my 2 cents. 

The number is 5 on the main grill. The added temp gages causes problems trying to put 3 in the front row, so three in the back row and two in the front row between the temp gages. the warming rack will not work because it flexes with the weight, not leaving enough space between the butts on the main grill and warming rack for smoke and heat.

I ended up with 7 butts between 7 and 7 1/2 pounds to smoke. So I am planning two runs 4 in the first and 3 in the second starting tonight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky