How long will it take to thaw a 15lb full packer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
I have a 15lb FP in the freezer at 0 degrees. my refer runs at 37 degrees. How long should I allow for the FP to thaw? I froze on purchase date. I think the sell by was a couple weeks past the purch date.

Im thinking 5 days? could it take more than that?

It was on sale for $1.99 / LB. so i bought two cooked one froze one. wife is getting twitchy about the freezer being too full. so tis time to cook the second.

thanks!

I have a 15lb FP in the freezer at 0 degrees. my refer runs at 37 degrees. How long should I allow for the FP to thaw? I froze on purchase date. I think the sell by was a couple weeks past the purch date.

Im thinking 5 days? could it take more than that?

It was on sale for $1.99 / LB. so i bought two cooked one froze one. wife is getting twitchy about the freezer being too full. so tis time to cook the second.

thanks!

I always try for 5 days minimum for 20lbs of meat/turkey.
Since this is a cryovac meat I shoot for throwing the meat in the fridge roughly 7 days before I want to cook that way I dont have to worry about it plus I dont have time during the week to smoke it anyhow so its easy to throw it a weekend early so the following weekend i can smoke it :)

Reactions: sandyut
an you hit up that $1.99lb Kroger sale a couple weeks ago? I picked up two too!
Totally man! I was out in the yard and my neighbor just got back from kroger and was like "do you like brisket? Kroger has them on sale." he smokes too. I dropped everything and ran for it!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
good deal guys. I'll pull it this Sunday shooting for a next Saturday cook.

If your freezer is at 0, then I would give it a week to thaw in the fridge, if it thaws a bit earlier, it’s no big deal. It will stay in the fridge for several days unthawed.
Al

If your freezer is at 0, then I would give it a week to thaw in the fridge, if it thaws a bit earlier, it’s no big deal. It will stay in the fridge for several days unthawed.
thanks Al. Ill pull it tomorrow. I would rather it sit in the refer thawed than deal with a frozen center.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky