• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How long will it take to thaw a 15lb full packer?

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
I have a 15lb FP in the freezer at 0 degrees. my refer runs at 37 degrees. How long should I allow for the FP to thaw? I froze on purchase date. I think the sell by was a couple weeks past the purch date.

Im thinking 5 days? could it take more than that?

It was on sale for $1.99 / LB. so i bought two cooked one froze one. wife is getting twitchy about the freezer being too full. so tis time to cook the second.

thanks!

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
What Jake said.

Man you hit up that $1.99lb Kroger sale a couple weeks ago? I picked up two too!

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
I have a 15lb FP in the freezer at 0 degrees. my refer runs at 37 degrees. How long should I allow for the FP to thaw? I froze on purchase date. I think the sell by was a couple weeks past the purch date.

Im thinking 5 days? could it take more than that?

It was on sale for $1.99 / LB. so i bought two cooked one froze one. wife is getting twitchy about the freezer being too full. so tis time to cook the second.

thanks!
I always try for 5 days minimum for 20lbs of meat/turkey.
Since this is a cryovac meat I shoot for throwing the meat in the fridge roughly 7 days before I want to cook that way I dont have to worry about it plus I dont have time during the week to smoke it anyhow so its easy to throw it a weekend early so the following weekend i can smoke it :)

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
an you hit up that $1.99lb Kroger sale a couple weeks ago? I picked up two too!
Totally man! I was out in the yard and my neighbor just got back from kroger and was like "do you like brisket? Kroger has them on sale." he smokes too. I dropped everything and ran for it!

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
good deal guys. I'll pull it this Sunday shooting for a next Saturday cook.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
If your freezer is at 0, then I would give it a week to thaw in the fridge, if it thaws a bit earlier, it’s no big deal. It will stay in the fridge for several days unthawed.
Al

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
If your freezer is at 0, then I would give it a week to thaw in the fridge, if it thaws a bit earlier, it’s no big deal. It will stay in the fridge for several days unthawed.
thanks Al. Ill pull it tomorrow. I would rather it sit in the refer thawed than deal with a frozen center.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.