How long will hog casings last?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A hog will have a single 100 yd intestine? Why don't you tell me where you get yours, then I can be sure to get some quality casings.
Not that long... What SE means to say is that the casings in a hank are in long continuous strands. The most recent hank I opened had 15-16 long casings in it...tied to a plastic ring with the size marked on it. some of the casings were too long to all fit on the stuffer horn so I had to cut it.

Reactions: chopsaw
Just be careful not to soak them with too much vinegar. Vinegar can make the casings rubbery. The vinegar is there to eliminate the odor. it does not soften them. I use a cap full.

boykjo

Not that long... What SE means to say is that the casings in a hank are in long continuous strands. The most recent hank I opened had 15-16 long casings in it...tied to a plastic ring with the size marked on it. some of the casings were too long to all fit on the stuffer horn so I had to cut it.
Yea, mine has 15 as well. I know i will have to cut each one, i doubt I will ever make that much sausage at a time. I'm then only eater.

Yea, mine has 15 as well. I know i will have to cut each one, i doubt I will ever make that much sausage at a time. I'm then only eater.

I make small batches of sausage all the time, and just pull about 18” of casing per pound. I use the smallest hog casings I can get for everything. I used to have all these different sizes of casing, then thought why. I like big hot dogs, and these are perfect for Hot Italian sausage, or Chorizo. Even use them for breakfast links instead of sheep casing.
Al

This is the my " universal " size .
1666451835730.jpeg
Stored wet using Joe's info . Always ready to go , and no blow outs . Glad I saved the bucket .
1666451882547.jpeg

Reactions: indaswamp
Just be careful not to soak them with too much vinegar. Vinegar can make the casings rubbery. The vinegar is there to eliminate the odor. it does not soften them. I use a cap full.

boykjo
Thanks for the insite.
I learned the over use of vinegar from a long time sausage maker.
I found it worked if you stuffed the sausage realy tight and dried them for a long time in the fridge and smoker.
Time to try a new method.

I make small batches of sausage all the time, and just pull about 18” of casing per pound. I use the smallest hog casings I can get for everything. I used to have all these different sizes of casing, then thought why. I like big hot dogs, and these are perfect for Hot Italian sausage, or Chorizo. Even use them for breakfast links instead of sheep casing.
Al
Same here. I found my liking is hog for all sausage. Wife is not so sure on breakfast links

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky