How long is too long?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbakko

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Moses Lake, Washington
I prepared a 10# brisket for smoking tomorrow but our company just called & told us they couldn't make it. How long will a brisket that has been rubbed with Jeff's Naked Rib Rub keep in the fridge. We are getting more company on Friday, so I was wondering if that was too long to keep it in the fridge so if I should just go ahead and smoke it as planned & reheat it on Friday?

Yeah, I had 3lber I was planning on making jerky out of, in three days it was turning brown in the fridge. That lit a fire under my butt and it got smoked with a quickness!

I would smoke it, pull it, and freeze it. They will store and reheat well.

Had the unopened, cryopacked meat been left intact, I wouldn't worry about it until a "use by" or "best by"

date.

That does not apply in your case.

Good luck and good smoking.

I regularly have Rubbed a Rib Eye or Striploin with Montreal Seasoning and let it dry age, uncovered, for 7 days. Porkbelly with a Salt, Sugar and spice rub 5 days all with zero issues. This is no different and holding to Friday, wrapped well and in the coldest spot in the refer, should be no problem at all. Sorry guys, but Brisket is not something I would reheat for Company. If you have the funds to buy more meat, go for it, lots of ways to use up 10lb of Frozen Brisket. But I see no issue holding out until Friday, probably Thursday night if going Low and Slow, with the Salt and Sugar in Jeff's Rub...JJ

Last edited:
Decided to go ahead and smoke it today. It's on the UDS now & holding steady @ 200º smoker temp. Will take some pics of finished product :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky