How long is to long with frozen meat!?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NoMeat-NoEat!

Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
How long is to long with frozen meat?

In my case, it's a big brisket that's been frozen since I got it, four years ago... 😳

What I've found online it seams that 12 months is max, but I have smoked meat that's been frozen longer than that before and it's been totallyfine! But this is quite a bit longer.
(It's that one big one that always ended up on the bottom of the freezer and 'we'll do that soon' thing, and then never gotten around to it.)

If it's cryovaced there isn't any issue from a food safety standpoint so you are safe there. You will suffer some loss of quality from that length of time. I smoked an almost 3yr old brisket once and I couldn't really tell a difference. Whole muscle like brisket is going to suffer less quality loss than steaks and such

Last edited:
Reactions: NoMeat-NoEat!
When you get ready defrost it give it the visual and smell test if it passes both smoke it. I have cooked meat that old before and it's been fine. Vacuum sealing really makes a huge difference

I have a whole freezer full of stuff that's about the same . Trying to get it used up .
Beef is the one that will hold up the best . Pork I trim off any discolored areas . Once I open the bags , break the original seal I get it cooked .

Thanks guys!
Appreciate the info and will get this one on the smoker this spring when it's not nasty outside!

3 years cryovaced is about my limit. Not saying it isn't still good, but that's as long as I keep stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky