How long can you keep vacuum sealed fat frozen in a freezer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

floridasteve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 16, 2014
Bradenton
I always keep brisket fat trimmings and use them when I grind my own hamburger. I haven't done that for a while, but with beef prices still hight, I think I start doing it again. The fat I have is pre pandemic.

I generally keep vac sealed meats/poultry no longer than 3 years. I don't think that they magically go bad after 3 years have passed, but quality does drop off after so long. With fat trim, I dunno, but I'd probably treat it the same.

Reactions: floridasteve
What Doug said.... Usually I keep all meat trimmings and fat for not longer then 3.5 years and Ii use them to make sausages..
Recently I found a bug of 4 plus years old fat (all vac sealed) and decided to dump it....

Beef fat will go bad a lot sooner than pork fat, but in general it all depends on how the animal was fed. I've had beef fat keep frozen for a year, and I've had some go bad in less than 3 months. 3 years is pushing it IMO....for beef fat. Pork fat might still be good after that much time being frozen if it was sealed well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky