How do you keeps ribs separated when using a rib rack?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

louiedimo

Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I normally smoke ribs flat on the grate but when the quantity exceeds the grate space, I use rib racks. I don't like that the ribs slump over on the ends and touch. It makes it hard to mop them and impacts the consistency of the circulation. I'm thinking of using skewers through the ends to keep them separated.

Does anyone have a technique they use? Am I overthinking this and just shouldn't worry about it?

I don't mop or spritz my ribs, so I don't worry about it. The ends usually just shrink up and leave the room I need.

The only issue I've had is with ribs that are pretty thick, like 2" or more. They'll press firmly against each other in the rack. When that's the case I'll leave a space open between the ribs. I've even leaned ribs against the end of the rack so I can get circulation.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky