Hot plate in a gasser?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lodi dick

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
Lodi, Wis.
    I am interested in making summer sausage or ring bologna in my Smoke Hollow 44 Gasser.  I know I'm unable to get the temps low enough to get started on it. I guess my ? is, has anyone put a hot plate in their smoker to smoke sausage and if so, what is the best way to regulate temps?  I was thinking of hot plate and sawdust.  Any input to this rookie sausage enthusiast?

What you need is a needle valve for your gas control. I can control mine anywhere from 120 to 500+. Search here for needle valve and you''ll fine numerous threads.

A hot plate won't get your smoker up to the higher temps needed for sausage. Also hit plates have auto cut outs to limit the power.

You'd need a minimum 1500-1800 watt element and a PID controller to make electric work.

I've used one for years with a cast iron skillet. Get the wood smoking first and then regulate temp with the burner. On my current smoker I installed an electric element with a thermostat that gets plugged in from the exterior of the smoker.

Thanks for the input.   I understand about the needle valve to lower the flame, however I'm paranoid about the wind blowing it out  (outside)  and dumping gas inside.  1500 watt hot plate with a thermostat attached should work IMO.  I've been thinking about the bulb on a capillary tube type controller I've seen used in hvac  systems just don't know where to get one yet.

Thanks Murray, what size hot plate are you using?  Also will it get up to 170 degrees to finish?

I found a old school double hot plate would have to check actual size but one side on low & the other on med low it kept 174 - 176 yesterday in michigan for about 6 hrs no problem cooler temps peior to that for a 10 hr smoke. I was thinking a PID controller & i would be good to go for sticks & ss.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky