Hot N Fast Pork on a Blustery Day!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radioguy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Hot and fast pork butts on a windy, rainy, Ohio day. Cooking 4 bone in butts, about 9.5 pounds each. Special occasions this week, my son in law Graduates College! Good Job Morgan! Its been a long haul for him. I will cook ribs on Monday for the grad party. Radio Gal will be helping out with SQWIBS mac and cheese and vegetarian baked bourbon beans. We also have our Church Home Group Christmas dinner tomorrow night. Had 4 butts in the freezer, 99 cent a pound. I buy when ever I get a good buy.

Hard and fast on reverse flow, “Lefty” smoker. It took a while to get a fire started and up to temperature, goal is 260F-270F. Four butts defrosted, trimmed and rubbed. 2 hours fat cap down, flipped fat up. Took temps at about 5 hours, all are 165-170. Did the shuffle as the firebox side is hottest, the RF outlet is next, the middle of the RF plate is the coolest. Been fighting the wind, day temperature is about 60F.

20211216_090246.jpg
Trimmed, Rubbed, Wrapped

20211216_090958.jpg
On the Fire!!

20211216_105434.jpg
Welding Blanket helps with wind on the "skin"

20211216_115910.jpg
Looking good! Smells like Porkopolis!!!:emoji_pig:

Brian Thanks for the comment. I was there once....seems like a lifetime ago. Rain has started, just a drizzle with wind gusts up to 20 mph. Cooking with Apple, Maple, Cherry mix.

20211216_153720.jpg
Some of my Cherry stash.
20211216_160955.jpg
Trying something different with the firewood this year. Trying IBC totes that I can move
with tractor loader / forks. All stacked and ready to move to the house when needed. I supplement the
heat in the house. We have a nice efficient fireplace insert. I have other dry "cooking" wood in that shed.

20211216_163339.jpg
Temp on track, burning a lot of wood. I stick every 1/2 hour or so. Butts almost ready.

Thanks SecondHandSmoker. All the butts are done. Not a ornery one in the bunch, this has never happened to me. I usually get one stubborn one that takes forever to finish. 8:10 for #1,8:30 for #2, and 8 hours 40 minutes for the last two. Double wrap in foil, beach towel and into the cooler for minimum 1 hour rest. This is where the magic happens….during the rest. I take a few pictures during the pull. Making SoFlaQuers Carolina Mustard sauce to have on the table with some Sweet Baby Rays. Also making some JJ’s finishing sauce. I love that sauce, I’ll mix about 4-5 tablespoon’s in each roast. I do miss Chef JimmyJ.

Thanks SecondHandSmoker. All the butts are done. Not a ornery one in the bunch, this has never happened to me. I usually get one stubborn one that takes forever to finish. 8:10 for #1,8:30 for #2, and 8 hours 40 minutes for the last two. Double wrap in foil, beach towel and into the cooler for minimum 1 hour rest. This is where the magic happens….during the rest. I take a few pictures during the pull. Making SoFlaQuers Carolina Mustard sauce to have on the table with some Sweet Baby Rays. Also making some JJ’s finishing sauce. I love that sauce, I’ll mix about 4-5 tablespoon’s in each roast. I do miss Chef JimmyJ.

You know it's a good smoke when there are no stubborn butts.
Yep, I miss JJ too. Jimmy's Bubba Q rub is my go to for pork and bbq chicken.
We lost a heck a good guy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky