Hot Links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
My hot links look Hot!

C4D091E6-7391-42DE-AA9C-7BABD02DE986.jpeg

Still really to warm to smoke but workable early in the morning. So I did a small batch of hot links yesterday for tonight’s supper. This was just 4# of pork and beef, I gave 4 links to friends yesterday, came out with 15 links total so very close to 1/4 pound a piece. Smoked with my traditional cherry and pecan wood in the smokehouse.

SV finished to 151F then ice bathed and bloomed.

611783E9-44D6-430E-9D00-6858876809F2.jpeg

Cut shot, of course.

4CC9BDB6-CFCD-4B7B-A615-36CB5A123EA6.jpeg

Nicely done! I do love the color cherry and pecan brings. Bet those were awesome!

Have another wild cherry tree about 8" diameter that needs to come out up at the deer camp....more cherry wood for me!
Yes Sir, the cherry is a key player in getting a robust color, but pecan carries the flavor, I really like the combination.

That 8” tree will give you many wonderful smoke sessions. Nice! And thanks for the kind words.

beautiful looking!! nice job!
Thank you, much appreciated.

This Hot Link Recipe:

Per 1 pound of meat. Can do all pork, all beef or mix them. I mixed 3 pounds of pork butt with 1 pound beef trimmings for this run.

Recipe:
Salt) 1.25%
Sugar) .5%
Cure #1) 1.1g/pound meat (.25%)
Gran garlic) 1g/pound
Gran onion) 1g/pound
Course ground BP) 1g/pound
Paprika) 3g/pound
Red Pepper flake) 1g/pound
Ground chipotle) 1g/pound
Ground Chile del arbol) 1g/pound (can use cayenne)
Whole fennel seed) .3g/pound
Sodium erythorbate) .05%
NFDM) 11g/pound
Ice water enough to make a nice batter.

30-32mm hog casings.

Smoke low temp (below 140F) for at least 2 hours, until good color is produced. Then into Sous Vida bath at 151F (sausage naked) for 45 min to 1 hour. Ice bath for 20 minutes, then dry and hang to bloom for a couple hours.
Enjoy.

Reactions: indaswamp
Going to serve these up with beans. Specifically, Anasazi beans mixed with Great Northern beans. The Anasazi beans are a creamy version of a pinto bean. Very delicious, but you most likely will not find them in the grocery store, so here is the link to Adobe Milling, the company in the four corners that sell these beans. They are worthy, an ancient bean from the Navajo people. Really something special.

https://www.anasazibeans.com/1lb_bag_anasazi_beans.html

C9192F4A-48E5-44B2-AAE6-143A8D382B6F.jpeg

The Anasazi are the bi-color bean.

Reactions: indaswamp
Those look amazing! Although I have never had any of this quality, but I like to smother the links in BBQ sauce and simmer for a while, then take a cheap white bun, a couple of healthy swipes of mustard, drop a link on and smother with simmering BBQ sauce. Simple pleasures!

Rick

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Those look amazing! Although I have never had any of this quality, but I like to smother the links in BBQ sauce and simmer for a while, then take a cheap white bun, a couple of healthy swipes of mustard, drop a link on and smother with simmering BBQ sauce. Simple pleasures!

Rick
Thank you.

Those are some fine looking links right there. Beautiful color and nice incorporation of the meat. Beautiful job and thanks for sharing the recipe. Good chance I'll be making some of these real soon.

Robert

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Those are some fine looking links right there. Beautiful color and nice incorporation of the meat. Beautiful job and thanks for sharing the recipe. Good chance I'll be making some of these real soon.

Robert
Thank you Robert. They are delicious. They really benefit from a couple day rest after smoking, let’s the spice flavors level out and balance.

look fantastic!
Thanks a bunch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky