1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

HOT & FAST BUTT, with JUDY'S PRETZEL BUNS, THANKS MossyMo!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by SmokinAl, Oct 18, 2016.

1. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I'm so glad it came out good for you!

The whole meal sounds absolutely delicious!

I wish you had got some photo's and you could have started your own thread.

Well maybe next time!

Nice job!

Al

2. Hey Al, newbie question. I have two butts weighing in at about 9.6 lbs each, Kroger has them on sale at .99 lb. Anyway, I know to go by the temp but if it's approximately 1.5 hours per lb of meat is this going to take 28 hours?

3. hardcookin

hardcookin Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Al is probably busy dealing with hurricane Irma.

I don't know what temp your smoking at. But approximately 1.5 hours and that would be for the heaviest butt. Not both.
    You want to pull at 205 or check for good bone wiggle on your butt when you pull it.

4. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

What Doug said is right on. You just take the largest butt & use that as your time estimate.

At 225 my butts usually take about 2 hours per pound. So for 2 - 10 lb. butts I would figure about 20 hours.

Al

5. jokensmoken

jokensmoken Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I've also been an "all night at 220°" for PP till this spring when time constraints dictated I finish in 10-12 hours...
    After asking for some advice on the forum here Bear sent me Cliff Carters way; following his advice and technique I smoked them at 280°-300° and finished pulled and served 6 butts (about 53 pounds) in less 12 hours and they were GREAT...I've since done 8 more butts this summer the same way with exceptional results...
    I'm with you Al...I won't be doing PP at 220° ever again unless I'm just bored and killing time.

Walt.

kyjack likes this.
  6. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

I'm glad Cliff's method worked good for you, Walt!!

I had no reason to doubt it would be good, even though I never tried it. I knew Cliff wouldn't steer me wrong.

He's a Good guy & he's been doing hot & fast for a long time.

Bear

7. berrya

berrya Smoke Blower

Al,

Are you still smoking your Butts at a higher temp?

8. SmokinAl

Yes I am, unless they need to be done for lunch. Then I'll do an all nighter on the WSM at 225.
    Al

9. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds great didn't see this before. However get mind out of gutter I cracked up when I read your thread heading.

Warren

10. fullsmoke

fullsmoke Smoking Fanatic

Looks great al them buns too wow I just can’t bring myself to do hot and fast lol !

11. phathead69

phathead69 Smoking Fanatic

TN
    Looks awsome

12. SmokinAl

Thanks fellas!
    Al

13. petehalsted

petehalsted Smoking Fanatic

Amazing as always, Al. Are you sure the Pulled Pork was that good, I suspect those Pretzel buns would have made anything taste great! LOL

14. SmokinAl

Your right Buddy!
    The pretzel buns were definitely the star of the show!
    Al

15. Looks great and those Buns wow! Smoking 2 now at 280 gonna havta get the wigey to make thise buns . Thanks for sharing the post.

16. SmokinAl

Happy to help you, and yes the buns are to die for!
    If you get the chance to make them, they really up the presentation appeal.
    And they really hold together good even with all the juicy PP & cole slaw.
    Good luck & let me know how you like the hot & fast method.
    I'm hooked on it & won't do it any other way unless I have to do an all nighter.
    Al

kyjack likes this.
  17. I'll let you know for sure how they turn out, So far they look great. 7 hrs in and the IT is 185 si I backed the heat down to 215 or smoke setting to get a good smoke on the back end. also spraying with apple juice every few hours. probably another hour to go.

18. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Al,
    you still have those Bamboo trees? I think you could use those and make some tiki torches for lighting. :D

19. phatbac

phatbac Master of the Pit

Those look frickin awesome! Good Job Al!

Happy Smoking,
    phatbac (Aaron)