HOT DOG RECIPE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Slow42

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Atlantic Ocean Side of the world
Looking for and all natural casing hot dog recipe. Something similar to Muckies, Hummel, or Sabrett. I realize some may have pork as part of the ingredients but that’s ok. All beef is fine. I have eaten both and they are equally good. Just looking for a recipe. Most of my experiences eating great hot dogs have been in New England specifically Connecticut. Very difficult to find hot dogs with natural casings in the south for some reason.

So far the only major ingredient I have is sheep casings, which are a must.

Reactions: Slow42
Here you go. For something as simple as a hot dog, they have a lot of ingredients to get the right flavor. There are some manufactured mixes from Curley's and Walton's that get good reviews. I have just never used them. Most hot dogs have filling that is emulsified, which is labor intensive because you are dealing with fine ground meat, a food processor, shaved ice and a thermometer. I later switched to double grinding my meat and treating them just like sausage.... that recipe is below. Because the diameter of sheep casing is smaller than hog casings, you will get a lot of links even on a small batch. Don't be afraid to make some into rings and grill them. I do use the liquid smoke, but I buy apple flavored, the more common hickory flavored is too strong.

nFQuSNC.jpg

Frankfurter Würstchen (aka Hot Dogs, Red Hots)
Metric amounts and 1# & 5# breakdown below

Pork butt – fine grind (or double grind) 1.5 pound
Ground chuck - fine grind (or double grind) 1.5 pound
Sheep casing 24/26mm (from Syracuse Casing Co or other reputable supplier)
1/2 Sharp Paprika 1 Tablespoon
Dry mustard 1.5 Tablespoons
Onion Powder 2 teaspoons
Roasted Garlic Powder 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoon
Mace 3/4 teaspoon
Coriander 1.5 teaspoons
Cardamom 3/4 teaspoon
Nutmeg (1/4 teaspoon is commonly mentioned, I don't use any)
Ground celery seed 1.5 teaspoons
Canning salt 1Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons
Pink salt #1 3.3g (approximately 3/4 teaspoon)
White pepper 1 Tablespoon
Dry milk 3/4 to 1 cup (this is for moisture retention and binding)
Corn syrup 3 Tablespoons
Liquid smoke 2 teaspoons (apple flavored preferred)
Iced Water 2 cups minimum use enough so texture is correct for stuffing.

Instructions:
Grind all meat, set back in fridge. Mix canning salt and pink salt together very well, then add remaining dry seasonings, mixing well. Remove ground meat from fridge and add dry ingredients first, then add liquids, mix by hand. Adjust iced water, or shaved ice as needed. At this point you can test fry a little pattie. Hold overnight in fridge. The next morning check the moisture, add iced water if needed. Note: When making batches larger than 3 pounds I'll sprinkle some of the dry mixture of ingredients onto the cubes of meat when grinding, this makes mixing easier)

Stuff into sheep casings, and form into links. After forming the links can be re-worked to make the links more even, but sheep casings are more delicate than hog casings. Allow the links to dry at room temperature before smoking or cooking in the oven.

Smoking/Cooking instructions:

Cold smoke for 1.5 hours minimum (longer is using an oven to finish). Hot smoke (or move into a 180° oven) for 45 minutes, then ramp up the pit temp to 200° cook until the internal is 160°. Move to an ice bath until the internal temp falls to about 100°. Remove and keep at room temperature for the hot dogs to dry and allow the color to bloom.

You can poach them after the cold smoke step, but I like the snap of the casings better with a hot smoke or oven finish.

These are ready to be moved from the cold smoker into a hot smoker or the oven notice the color is not as red as the ones in the top photo.
fC14w0q.jpg

Metric Version
Ingredients
1 # Amounts
3 # Amounts
5 # Amounts
Pork butt – ground
0.5 pound​
1.5 pound​
2.5 pound​
Ground beef 85/15
0.5 pound​
1.5 pound​
2.5 pound​
Sheep casing 24/26mm from Syracuse Casing Co.
1 tube​
1 tube​
1/2 Sharp Paprika
1.4 g​
4.2 g​
7 g​
Dry mustard
1.7 g​
5.1 g​
8.3 g​
Onion Powder
1.4 g​
4.2 g​
7 g​
Roasted Garlic
3 g​
9 g​
15 g​
Mace
0.4 g​
1.2 g​
1.8 g​
Coriander
0.5 g​
1.5 g​
2.6 g​
Cardamom
0.4 g​
1.2 g​
1.8 g​
Nutmeg
?​
?​
?​
Ground celery seed
0.7 g​
2.1 g​
3.4 g​
Canning salt
5.2 g​
15.6 g​
26 g​
Pink salt
1.1 g​
3.3 g​
5.5 g​
White pepper
1.7 g​
5.1 g​
8.5 g​
Dry milk
15.6 g​
47 g​
78 g​
Corn syrup
1.8 teaspoon​
1T + 1 teaspoon​
3 Tablespoons​
Liquid smoke (apple flavor)
1/3 teaspoon​
1.25 teaspoon​
2 teaspoon​
Iced Water
By feel​
By feel​
By feel​

Last edited:
Reactions: wishbonz
Thanks for sharing your recipe Thirdeye, Any Chance you have that in a metric formulation?

For something as simple as a hot dog
Well... for me it's not that simple considering the emulsification process. Of course, if you desire to reach the consistency that is close to hot dog consistency... Messy and time consuming... Maybe it's just me. Much easier when you double grind your meat through 3mm plate - the consistency is little different but not bad at all...
thirdeye, your recipe looks very interesting and I am going to try it with my net butch of hot dogs. Thank you for sharing....

Right, that is why I've stopped emulsifying the meat and switched to just grinding.

For those that have not ever tried emulsifying, here is the end result you are after, that will be stuffed.... it's like a meat pudding. During the process if your meat gets too warm from the blending, and your salt is not spot on the mixture will beak and the fat and lean separate.

1h97gQV.jpg

Hey Bud,
using thirdeye's procedures, here is another formula for you to try sometime. I also like the coarser grind, rather than emulsified. These have a terrific taste, in my opinion. I use collagen casings. Natural casings up to about 30 mm is always good. I like a larger link to go with the bun!! But, that's me...

I've not gotten around to putting this into metric, yet. Hope that won't stop you from using this. Salt in the 30 to 40 gram range, most of the herbs/spices in the 2 to 6 gram range, or more. None of the tbsp / tsp measures are heaping -- not heaping. Shaken level is how I do it.

Enjoy!!

5 # MEAT - no less than 80/20 -- 70/30 is much better...

2 TBSP SALT
2 TBSP PAPRIKA
2 TBSP SUGAR
2 TBSP MARJORAM
1 TBSP BLACK PEPPER
1 TBSP CORIANDER

1 TSP CURE # 1 if you're going to smoke them -- otherwise, omit this.

2 TSP GARLIC POWDER
2 TSP ONION POWDER
2 TSP GINGER
2 TSP MUSTARD POWDER
1 TSP NUTMEG / MACE (mace is usually better if you have it...)
½ TSP CELERY SEED

½ CUP NON FAT DRY MILK POWDER optional
1 TSP ACCENT / MSG optional

1 CUP WATER
2 tbsp LIQUID SMOKE if you are not curing and smoking in a chamber / smokehouse

Rex
aka Polka

Thanks thirdeye just what I was looking for you covered all my concerns right down to poaching. I like to have a smooth looking final product like a regular hot dog but taste is of paramount importance. Hot dogs really aren’t simple. They are very underrated and considered unhealthy by many. I however think they are wonderful hence my quest for a great hot dog. Have you ever had a hot dog from the East New England coast? Does your recipe compare to any of those I mentioned? If not I’m going to give your recipe a try anyway as it sounds marvelous. Thanks for the small batch ingredient list.

Reactions: thirdeye
Hey Bud,
using thirdeye's procedures, here is another formula for you to try sometime. I also like the coarser grind, rather than emulsified. These have a terrific taste, in my opinion. I use collagen casings. Natural casings up to about 30 mm is always good. I like a larger link to go with the bun!! But, that's me...

1 TSP CURE # 1 if you're going to smoke them -- otherwise, omit this.

Rex
aka Polka

Polka, from a safety point of view, you are right about the need for cure when cold/hot smoking. But, even if using the oven or poaching, some cure will give the hot dogs the nice pink color we expect to see. Now, you don't need a teaspoon to make this happen, maybe 1.5 grams in a 5# batch would be enough.

Thanks thirdeye just what I was looking for you covered all my concerns right down to poaching. I like to have a smooth looking final product like a regular hot dog but taste is of paramount importance. Hot dogs really aren’t simple. They are very underrated and considered unhealthy by many. I however think they are wonderful hence my quest for a great hot dog. Have you ever had a hot dog from the East New England coast? Does your recipe compare to any of those I mentioned? If not I’m going to give your recipe a try anyway as it sounds marvelous. Thanks for the small batch ingredient list.

Heheee, only unhealthy because we were led to believe that all hot dogs were made from scraps from the cutting room floor. Some brands are lesser quality meats for sure, and scrimp on seasonings.... but when made at home, I think of them as something else from the wurst family, and the more care I use, the better they are. I've only been to the East coast twice but I have had some Nathan's as well as a couple of brands from Chicago. I think all are unique in their own way, and we almost never get to try them without some toppings and bun, so I can't say how they compare side-by-side. I can achieve the same snap and of course I like them about 2" longer than bun length, and I like showing off by giving someone a dozen because not that many people make them at home. Polka is right, you can buy sheep casings a little larger for a more hearty dog. Bottom line is, there are enough ingredients that can be changed up. It's easy to make a 1# test batch without any intention to stuff into casings. Test fry a thick pattie and sample. Then adjust seasonings. Then repeat.

Here are some dogs with emulsified meat and a poached finish that were pan fried. They look bland compared to the smoked ones but surprisingly if you take the color and the smokey back-flavor out of the equation, they still eat pretty good.

2Acte9e.jpg

SuIL7Vw.jpg

Reactions: Polka and Slow42
Well,.....meat = whatever is your favorite meat or combo thereof. We don't use pork, but rather use beef or chicken, lamb, or turkey. Just so long as the meats used is about 80/20, or better 70/30 for the best flavor profile. R

Here you go. For something as simple as a hot dog, they have a lot of ingredients to get the right flavor. There are some manufactured mixes from Curley's and Walton's that get good reviews. I have just never used them. Most hot dogs have filling that is emulsified, which is labor intensive because you are dealing with fine ground meat, a food processor, shaved ice and a thermometer. I later switched to double grinding my meat and treating them just like sausage.... that recipe is below. Because the diameter of sheep casing is smaller than hog casings, you will get a lot of links even on a small batch. Don't be afraid to make some into rings and grill them. I do use the liquid smoke, but I buy apple flavored, the more common hickory flavored is too strong.

nFQuSNC.jpg

Frankfurter Würstchen (aka Hot Dogs, Red Hots)
Metric amounts and 1# & 5# breakdown below

Pork butt – fine grind (or double grind) 1.5 pound
Ground chuck - fine grind (or double grind) 1.5 pound
Sheep casing 24/26mm (from Syracuse Casing Co or other reputable supplier)
1/2 Sharp Paprika 1 Tablespoon
Dry mustard 1.5 Tablespoons
Onion Powder 2 teaspoons
Roasted Garlic Powder 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoon
Mace 3/4 teaspoon
Coriander 1.5 teaspoons
Cardamom 3/4 teaspoon
Nutmeg (1/4 teaspoon is commonly mentioned, I don't use any)
Ground celery seed 1.5 teaspoons
Canning salt 1Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons
Pink salt #1 3.3g (approximately 3/4 teaspoon)
White pepper 1 Tablespoon
Dry milk 3/4 to 1 cup (this is for moisture retention and binding)
Corn syrup 3 Tablespoons
Liquid smoke 2 teaspoons (apple flavored preferred)
Iced Water 2 cups minimum use enough so texture is correct for stuffing.

Instructions:
Grind all meat, set back in fridge. Mix canning salt and pink salt together very well, then add remaining dry seasonings, mixing well. Remove ground meat from fridge and add dry ingredients first, then add liquids, mix by hand. Adjust iced water, or shaved ice as needed. At this point you can test fry a little pattie. Hold overnight in fridge. The next morning check the moisture, add iced water if needed. Note: When making batches larger than 3 pounds I'll sprinkle some of the dry mixture of ingredients onto the cubes of meat when grinding, this makes mixing easier)

Stuff into sheep casings, and form into links. After forming the links can be re-worked to make the links more even, but sheep casings are more delicate than hog casings. Allow the links to dry at room temperature before smoking or cooking in the oven.

Smoking/Cooking instructions:

Cold smoke for 1.5 hours minimum (longer is using an oven to finish). Hot smoke (or move into a 180° oven) for 45 minutes, then ramp up the pit temp to 200° cook until the internal is 160°. Move to an ice bath until the internal temp falls to about 100°. Remove and keep at room temperature for the hot dogs to dry and allow the color to bloom.

You can poach them after the cold smoke step, but I like the snap of the casings better with a hot smoke or oven finish.

These are ready to be moved from the cold smoker into a hot smoker or the oven notice the color is not as red as the ones in the top photo.
fC14w0q.jpg

Metric Version
Ingredients
1 # Amounts
3 # Amounts
5 # Amounts
Pork butt – ground
0.5 pound​
1.5 pound​
2.5 pound​
Ground beef 85/15
0.5 pound​
1.5 pound​
2.5 pound​
Sheep casing 24/26mm from Syracuse Casing Co.
1 tube​
1 tube​
1/2 Sharp Paprika
1.4 g​
4.2 g​
7 g​
Dry mustard
1.7 g​
5.1 g​
8.3 g​
Onion Powder
1.4 g​
4.2 g​
7 g​
Roasted Garlic
3 g​
9 g​
15 g​
Mace
0.4 g​
1.2 g​
1.8 g​
Coriander
0.5 g​
1.5 g​
2.6 g​
Cardamom
0.4 g​
1.2 g​
1.8 g​
Nutmeg
?​
?​
?​
Ground celery seed
0.7 g​
2.1 g​
3.4 g​
Canning salt
5.2 g​
15.6 g​
26 g​
Pink salt
1.1 g​
3.3 g​
5.5 g​
White pepper
1.7 g​
5.1 g​
8.5 g​
Dry milk
15.6 g​
47 g​
78 g​
Corn syrup
1.8 teaspoon​
1T + 1 teaspoon​
3 Tablespoons​
Liquid smoke (apple flavor)
1/3 teaspoon​
1.25 teaspoon​
2 teaspoon​
Iced Water
By feel​
By feel​
By feel​

Hello Thirdeye,

Can you confirm which of the recipes are correct for a 3 lb batch? The one at the top listing measurements for a 3 lb batch shows 3 TBSP of Corn syrup and 2 tsp of Liquid Smoke but in your weight metrics table that follows, these same amounts are shown for the 5 lb batch. Just want to confirm if all the other dry ingredients listed at the top of this post for 3 lbs is really for 3 lbs or if it is for 5lbs. Since these are the only two ingredients in which you used volume measurements between the two recipes, they are the the only two I can confirm were not aligned. Don't know if something similar happened for the other dry ingredients. If you could review/confirm and make any needed edits, I would appreciate it.

Good catch. Looking as my recipe spreadsheet showing the information I copied to the 'Metric Version' table for 1#, 3# and 5# batches appears to list the correct amounts. You could always use the 1# amounts as a constant is you were making a different weight. For example for a 6.5# batch, multiply the 1# batch ingredients X 6.5.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky