Homemade vs commercially bought jerky shelf life

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

localjerkyman

Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Does anyone know the process of extending your homemade jerky shelf life to several months? Perhaps to a year shelf life. I see brands like Krave that state they don't use any nitrates or preservatives, yet have a shelf life of a year. Their products are packaged in, what looks like regular jerky bags with the zip locks. They aren't vacuum sealed. Can homemade jerky be packaged like this and have a long shelf life? 

It's not the packaging, it's the process that they use. For a home processor the equipment required is too expensive for most.

There's numerous threads here on the subject.

Does anyone know the process of extending your homemade jerky shelf life to several months? Perhaps to a year shelf life. I see brands like Krave that state they don't use any nitrates or preservatives, yet have a shelf life of a year. Their products are packaged in, what looks like regular jerky bags with the zip locks. They aren't vacuum sealed. Can homemade jerky be packaged like this and have a long shelf life? 
The shelf life of our jerky is one year from the date of production for all flavors. KRAVE jerky is minimally processed which leads to the tender texture. Refrigeration after opening will maintain optimum quality and freshness of the product. We recommend consuming or refrigerating within three days of opening.

Shelf life in the un opened package is 1 yr. ............. The product is probably packed with nitrogen ( to prevent spoilage)  to keep it fresh like potato chips...

Vacuum seal your jerky and freeze. it will last up to 2 + years... but lets be realistic...never seen jerky last more than a week..lol

My 2 cents

Boykjo

Last edited:
It's not the packaging, it's the process that they use. For a home processor the equipment required is too expensive for most.

There's numerous threads here on the subject.
Can you link me to some of those threads? Thank you.

The shelf life of our jerky is one year from the date of production for all flavors. KRAVE jerky is minimally processed which leads to the tender texture. Refrigeration after opening will maintain optimum quality and freshness of the product. We recommend consuming or refrigerating within three days of opening.

Shelf life in the un opened package is 1 yr. ............. The product is probably packed with nitrogen ( to prevent spoilage)  to keep it fresh like potato chips...

Vacuum seal your jerky and freeze. it will last up to 2 + years

My 2 cents

Boykjo
I've seen some Korean pork jerky at my local Costco that had a shelf life date of several months, yet when you look at the bag, it says they don't use any added preservatives, but the meat looks oozing with moisture. It also says minimally processed, which I don't even know what that means. Don't moisture and a combination of pork fat make for a ticking rancid time bomb? 

hello
i want to manufacture fresh meat jerky for dogs.
please help me how to dehydrate meat and also what should i do too have 1 year shelf life?
do i need to add some preservative or nitrogen gas is ok?
and also the dosage i should use
thank you

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky