Homemade Mozzarella, it's so easy! Plenty of Q-view!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Just wondering.  Mrs bought mozz balls in olive oil but was just wondering how long it'd be safe to keep them in fridge before they'd go bad.  Any help or input welcome.  Thanks.
My answer would be they will last quite a while.

As long as they are completely submerged in the olive oil they should last a long time.

If mold starts to grow on them then that would be my clue to dump them.

Al

First off let me post the recipe I went by. Then I'll go through the steps.

Mozzarella cheese

Dissolve ¼ rennet tablet in ¼ cu. of non chlorinated water.

Heat 1 gallon of whole milk (not ultra pasteurized) in a stainless steel pot ( don’t use aluminum or cast iron ) on med/low ( 4-5 ) until it reaches 95 degrees.

Add 1 ½ tsp of citric acid when milk gets to about 80 degrees, stirring it occasionally.

When it hits 95 degrees add the rennet solution & gently stir for 30 seconds – take it off the heat, cover & let sit for 25 minutes.

Cross hatch the curds with a long knife that reaches the bottom of the pot & use a slotted spoon to spoon curds into a microwaveable dish with cheese cloth in it. Twist the cheese cloth to squeeze out the whey from the curds. Pour out the whey & put the curds back in the dish without  the cheese cloth & microwave for 1 minute.

Pour off liquid, knead & add salt ( about 1 teaspoon or to your taste ) & other seasonings if you choose. Continue to knead until it gets a little dry, then microwave for 30 seconds. Knead some more & form a ball or you can stretch out and form it as a rope or any shape you choose. It should look shiny when it’s done. To get it to hold its shape dunk it in ice water.

I started off making some spiced olive oil to put on the mozz when I got done. It's just the dipping sauce herbs & some olive oil.

Next the ingredients for the cheese.

The rennet tablets need to be quartered. The first few times I made mozz, I used a knife & it really doesn't make a clean cut, so I bought one of those pill cutters at Wally World. They really work good.

Bingo 1/4 of a tablet.

Put 1/4 of the rennet tablet into 1/4 cup of non chlorinated water. Stir it up & let it sit & dissolve.

Next get a stainless pot & pour 1 gallon of milk into it. The fresher the better. If you can find un-homogenized that's the best, but make sure it doesn't say ultra- pasteurized or this won't work.

Heat the milk on med low until it hits 80 degrees then add the 1 1/2 teaspoons of citric acid.

Occasionally stir it until it hits 95 degrees then add the rennet & water.

Stir for 30 seconds, as you can see the curds are starting to form.

After 30 seconds take it off the heat.

Cover it & let it sit for 25 minutes.

After 25 minutes you can see how the curds have separated from the whey. This time they are a little looser than normal. It should look like custard. That's OK we will just have too work with them a little more to get all the whey out.

Got a bowl ready lined with cheesecloth.

Next we use a big pasta spoon to spoon out the curds.

Like I said earlier the curds are a little looser than normal. Normally you could get them all out with the pasta spoon, but there is quite a bit left in the bowl so were going to pour the remaining liquid through a strainer.

This is what we have left.

Now you just wrap the cheese cloth around the mozz & squeeze out as much of the whey as you can.

Dump the whey out, and put the mozz back in the bowl & into the microwave for 1 minute.

After you get it out of the micro, just drain off the excess whey & start to knead it.

Now is when you want to add your seasonings. We just added about 1 tsp of Kosher salt.

Keep kneading it and if it seems to start to get dry just nuke it for 30 seconds. When it's right it will stretch out like a rope.

Now just knead it a little more, and if you need to put in in the micro for 15 seconds to keep it pliable.

Next form it into a ball or whatever shape you want it to be. I have seen it twisted like rope. The main thing is to work it & stretch it so it gets those long fibers that makes good mozzarella. It should have a shine to it as well. We just make balls. Maybe I need to get more creative!

To make sure it keeps it's shape put in in an ice bath for 10 minutes.

After the ice bath wrap it in saran wrap just like a fattie & it will be good in the fridge for at least 2 weeks. It only last's a couple of days around here, but it freezes well too. So if you want to make a bunch of it you can vac seal & freeze it. I prefer to make it 1 batch at a time & eat it with friends. One gallon of milk makes about 3/4 pound of mozz.

Now getting back to the seasoned olive oil in the beginning of this thread. I think it's snack time at SmokinAl's. The good thing is it's tomato season here now, so we went to the local produce stand & picked up a few locally grown vine ripe maters. Sliced them up with some of the mozz a few basal leaves and some of that olive oil. This is the perfect afternoon snack with a couple of beers.

Damn brother that looks delicious.  I will be trying that very soon.  Do you guys smoke your cheese or just leave it as is.

Reactions: crazymoon

Damn brother that looks delicious.  I will be trying that very soon.  Do you guys smoke your cheese or just leave it as is.
Thank you!

We haven't smoked any of the homemade cheese yet because we end up eating it right away.

But there is no reason not to. I think it would be real good!

Al

I am sneaking up on this project carefully.

Very little in the kitchen intimidates me other than pastry or a project like this.

My rennet is different than Al's.  "junket" brand from my supermarket.  Came with all sorts of recipes in it.  These tablets are smaller than Al's and they call for 1/2 tablet per Gallon of Milk.

Found it by the Jello section. 

Check your rennet before proceeding.

I already have the Milk, so I am committed.  Don't expect a QVIEW unless my failure might be instructional to others?   :icon_mad:

Good luck and good smoking.

I realize this is an old post.... But, I have access to some whole milk and was thinking about attempting this recipe. Unfortunately, Junket is the only option I would have locally, and milk will spoil by the time I get something else shipped. The articles I have read say to not use junket...that it isn't the same, but.... I am willing to give it a go. Other than including 1/2 tablet instead of a 1/4 tablet.... Is that your only recommended change? TIA

I'm interested in this myself. I didn't realize there were different kinds of rennet.

Please post your results. Good or bad.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky