Homemade Lasagna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oohh Lasagna!!! I haven’t had homemade from scratch lasagna since my Gram died. She made it all the time on Sundays when everyone would stop over and sit down at her table.

Yours looks great Rich! Very nicely done!

Reactions: chopsaw
Wow! That looks killer! I really like the egg with the cottage cheese, it makes too much sense, we’re going to do that next time around! Thank you for sharing!

nicely done!
Thanks Joe .

I haven’t had homemade from scratch lasagna since my Gram died
My wife's side was full Italian from her Dad's side . We used to go to her Aunt's house on Christmas for homemade ravioli . It was awesome . Had the good sausage from down on the Hill in St. Louis . Her homemade meatballs were also the best . She made fried cardoon ? Kind of like celery flattened out and fried . Stuff was fantastic . Sauce to die for . Wife's cousin gave use the whole ravioli recipe last year , for the pasta and the beef filling . That filling is insane . I adapted the pasta recipe , but it made a light go off . Good times , but things change .

Looks heavenly..
It was pretty good . I keep a base bulk ground pork in the freezer . Mixed up with Adkins farm style seasoning . easy to adapt the flavor to what ever . I crushed up some fennel , anise and red pepper flakes in a mortar and pestle and mixed it in .
Really added some flavor .
Thanks for the comment .
Wow! That looks killer!
Thanks Jed .
I really like the egg with the cottage cheese,
It's a great add . Just the egg really rounds it out . Depending on how much cheese I have I'll add more eggs . Just be careful because it pushes it up over the top of the pan . Cook on a sheet tray and make sure your pan is 2 1/2 to 3 inches deep .

Reactions: bauchjw
Got inspired to make up some Lasagna yesterday . This is how it went .
Start with some home made Italian sausage .
View attachment 652722
Brown off in a pan .

View attachment 652724
Then get the sauce ready .
View attachment 652726
View attachment 652725
The meat stomper gives the perfect texture .
View attachment 652727
Set both aside to cool .
View attachment 652728

Time to make some pasta . I've done it all different ways , and still haven't tried them all .
If you look for pasta formulas you know how many variations there are .
This is were I've settled in . It makes a silky smooth pasta with great chew .
Had around 1 1/2 pounds of flour . 75 / 25 Dbl. zero to semolina .
3 whole eggs . Will see if it needs any water .
View attachment 652734

That blue silicone mat works perfect for this . Started with 2 eggs .
I use a fork to start out .
View attachment 652729
Mix the 2 eggs in . This will be pretty shaggy . That's ok .
View attachment 652730
Added the third egg and mixed some more .
Starting to come together .
View attachment 652731
I added some warm water by the TBLS. to bring it together slowly .
Keep kneading until it picks up most of what's on the mat .
View attachment 652732
Cut in half and wrap in plastic . Into the fridge for at least an hour .
View attachment 652733

Time to roll some dough .
The Marcato Pasta machines are top of the line . I have the Atlas with removable cutting head .
They make other profile / shaped cutters you can use .
View attachment 652735
After resting in the fridge the dough comes together .
Press it out flat enough that it will pass through the roller set to 0 .
View attachment 652736
Pass through one time , and fold in half .
View attachment 652738

Turn 90 degrees and re-roll , still set to 0 .
The 90 degree turn helps control the shape of the ends .
Square , not pointed . I fold and turn 3 times .
View attachment 652737
From this point I go through one time , adjusting the rollers until
I reach 5 . That's a good thickness for this . Ravioli I'll g0 to a 6 .
View attachment 652739

View attachment 652740
Done right it should grow in length , not in width .
View attachment 652741
View attachment 652742
About 3' of perfect pasta . No ragged edges is a good sign .
View attachment 652743
I decided to go ahead and par boil the sheets . Sometimes I use it as is , because it cooks in the dish .
View attachment 652744
Hold on some paper towels to cool .
View attachment 652745
I use cottage cheese in my Lasagna . Never cared for the texture of Ricotta .
I add a raw egg into the cheese and mix it in .
Gives it some height when it cooks and helps to set it when it cools .
View attachment 652747
You know the rest , just get it layered up . I like to do 3 layers
including the top .
View attachment 652749
View attachment 652750
View attachment 652751
View attachment 652753
View attachment 652752
View attachment 652754
Baked covered at 350 for 1 hour .
View attachment 652755
set oven to 425 and bake uncovered until you like the color .
View attachment 652756
View attachment 652757
Cool for an hour or more . The egg helps hold it together , gives it height
and makes a nice slice .
View attachment 652758
Thanks for lookin .
Wow, great post and great job!!!

My favorite dish in the entire world is my mother's Lasagna. She to makes it with cottage cheese and I agree I much prefer it to ricotta.
She also started incorporating a little pepperoni into it some years ago, just made it even better!

This is so amazing, thanks for the post!

Wow, great post and great job!!!
Thank you . Appreciate that .
She also started incorporating a little pepperoni into it some years ago, just made it even better!
You know , I was thinking about that . I didn't because some at the get together are picky eaters . I really like the flavor of hot salami and pepperoni .

Reactions: tallbm
Awesome lasagna Rich!
We use cottage cheese for a lot of dishes, but I have to say I never tried it in lasagna. It sure makes a killer twice baked potato though!
Al

Reactions: chopsaw and tallbm
Wow. Those corners have my memories drooling. Well done!

And for those who dislike ricotta, make your own. Only takes minutes, plus a few hours to cool. Soooo easy and WAAAY creamier than either store-bought or cottage cheese.

Looks perfect to me. I did the very same thing last year and should make more but for some reason life keeps getting in the way. My daughters father-in-laws mother makes a really nice light pasta that almost melts in your mouth and I have tried to get mine close to hers but I am sure she is only telling me half of the secrets to make it like hers LOL.
Those old Italian grandmothers will take a recipe to the grave before letting it up. :)

Looks perfect to me
Thanks bud .
-in-laws mother makes a really nice light pasta that almost melts in your mouth and I have tried to get mine close to hers but I am sure she is only telling me half of the secrets to make it like hers
My sister is always asking my son for our recipes . Then it shows up in the " Family cookbook " as hers . So now he always leaves something out when she asks . Lol .

Thanks for the comments .

My sister is always asking my son for our recipes . Then it shows up in the " Family cookbook " as hers . So now he always leaves something out when she asks . Lol .
Now that's just plain mean, funny as heck but still mean.

That is funny. A few years ago, I tried to get 2 recipes from my MIL. It took 5 different tries and fails on my part until I got the complete recipes. There's an Everybody Loves Raymond episode about that too, lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky