Homemade Brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zahlgren

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Central Illinois
Yesterday my dad and me butchered 3 hogs out at the family farm. My dad was also a meat cutter/meat department manager for about 25 years and perfected a homemade recipie that is so good I don't even care for brand names like Johnsonville any longer. They are great grilled, broiled, or smoked. I apologize that I can't give you the spice mixture, but I haven't been told yet. I do know a couple of the "secret ingredients" that I will show you. First, a meat pan full of pork trim with seasoning and one secret ingredient: crushed pineapple.
And all mixed up
We also made a batch of "apple brats" which is his standard brat mixture with apple pie filling added, here's the view
We also made a batch of pizza sausage which is a sweeter sausage that the family loves, here is pre and post ground pics
Back to the brats, we stuffed them in pork casings, we have pretty good equipment to use, a few years back when a local butcher retired and went out of business my dad bought his grinder, ban saw, and some other equipment I would hate to think how long making 300 lbs of brats would take on a small grinder...
Thanks for looking, its a job well done for the year as we look forward to summer grilling that hopefully isn't too far away!

2thumbs.gif
  Now that's a grinder and some serious sausage making! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Oh man, crushed pineapple! You have seriously piqued my interest in that recipe! Nice job. Looks like a lot of fun when you have the right tools.

Spending time with your Dad and making some sausage; you can't beat that!  I am sure that you created a memory that will last a long time.  Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: spartan1967
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky