• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

home made Italian sausage for pizza

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I use quite a few of TSM mixes & they do need a little help. I usually just use 1/3 more than they call for & tweak it from there. Their hot breakfast sausage is very good, but once again it’s doesn’t have the heat we are looking for so I just add 1/3 more of the mix & we just love it.
Al

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I do the same as Al with TSM spices. I've become to think of their blends as a base blend to build off of. Not slamming them. Just my preference. Everybody has different tastes. Your recipe sounds quite good.

Polka

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 24, 2017
I sometimes think that there is something missing in the Italian mixes too -- The homemade versions get so much closer. Try this -- if what you find is close, and it only has Fennel seed, try taking that amount as 1/2 fennel, and 1/2 ANISE seed. This was the trick for me and my family. Hope this helps. R

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Good hack Polka Polka I am new to italian sausage but I bet there could things like this at play. That said, I mentioned freshness already but I no longer buy spices (even whole) from the store. I order online and have been MUCH happier with my results. I have not bought this but look at the reviews and see all the folks talking how much better it is over stuff from the store. I look at it this way, most sausages can be purchased relatively inexpensive so if I am making it I want to be the best that it can.

amazon" style="max-width:120px">

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
Once you have a base of proportions it's easier to fine tune a sausage recipe to your liking. In a store bought seasoning you don't have a real reference point to change.
Ditto! Completely agreed. Thank you for sharing the recipe, Sir! Bookmarked.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.