Hollandaise made easy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 20, 2016
Alberta Canada
I came across this recipe probably 30 ish yrs ago and it has been my go to ever since. Our sunday morning breakfasts when I could get the vultures (kids) out of bed would be eggs benny or crepes. After seeing the triple threat crepe post by civilsmoker I thought I would share this. Let me know if you try it and what you think. Thx.

- 4 egg yolks
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice to your taste. I like 2 wife likes more
-¼ salt
- dash cayenne
- dash white pepper
- dash dry mustard powder
- few dashes Tabasco
- ¾ melted butter

Mix all ingredients together in blender except melted butter, blend, then slowly drizzle melted butter in top of blender while blending .
It all thickens up and tastes beautiful. makes 4-5 servings ( on small side for the hollandaise lovers out there.)
We double the recipe to serve 6-7 people. Enjoy

Thanks for posting your recipe, I have been using the pre-made stuff, but will definitely try your recipe!
Al

Pretty sure that is Betty Crocker's "easy hollandaise" recipe with some added touches. Funny, pretty close to my tweaks too. Sub the mustard with accent and you have mine. Killer stuff actually and way better than packet. Happy to see another person into white pepper. WP pairs crazy good with egg. We've since moved on to using packets. Wife is weird about the egg thing...

ab canuck ab canuck - your post brought back some memories!

Way back in my college days, I was a cook at a TGI Fridays - back when we made everything from scratch and had a 52 page menu. I was even trained as a saucier. Every Sunday morning I would separate 288 egg yolks from the whites to make Hollandaise sauce. Yup - 288 freezing freaking cold egg yolks - by hand. The recipe was pretty similar to yours, minus the Tabasco, except you left out the part where I had to use a huge French whip in a giant stainless steel bowl resting delicately in the grease of a warming fryer for about 20 minutes...but it had better not get not too much heat or it would lump. And if it lumped, I separated another 288 egg yolks...which only happened once haha!

I still hate Hollandaise to this day! :emoji_wink:

Last edited:
I've done it both ways.
Still prefer heating and whisking the egg yolks on the double pan and then adding the warmed half stick of butter for every 4 yolks,

The packaged stuff is ... OK in a pinch.

If you have a problem with eggs go back to the double pan.
i use a round ss bowl dipped in a simmering water pan

I've used this recipe in the past. Lately my youngest has been wanting hollandaise all the time so I got him to make his own using the microwave. Believe it or not it turns out every time. This is just a base and you can season as you like.
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/4 lemon, juiced, or to taste
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
  1. Beat egg yolks, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper together in a microwave-safe bowl until smooth. Slowly stream melted butter into the egg yolk mixture while whisking to incorporate.
  2. Heat in microwave for 15 to 20 seconds; whisk.

Reactions: Fueling Around
3/4 Stick (8Tbs) or 3/4 Pound Hot Butter? Both will work actually. That's a great technique for quick Hollandaise...JJ

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky