Hmmm...Tri tip labeling change local grocer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
Shopping at Winco Foods last Saturday they had untrimmed tri tips for $2.98/lb. That's the cheapest price I've seen in over a year. I only picked up two because my freezers are full, otherwise I would have bought at a half-dozen.

What was interesting to me was the grade was not indicated. Untrimmed Select grades are usually on sale at $3.98/lb, regular price $5.98/lb. Choice or better are usually $7.98/lb or higher. The ungraded $2.98/lb TTs were nicely marbled, and cheaper than hamburger.

We had TT fajitas a couple weeks ago, so time for something different: TT stir fry. Please understand that TT on the West Coast is/was/has been as common as chicken.

Finished pics later.

20221024_125556.jpg

20221024_130549.jpg

20221024_131132.jpg

I have seen a price drop on meat lately, was at Costco on Saturday last week and their ribs, BB and SL were 1.99/lb. I picked up a point cut brisket (choice or better) for 3.99/lb at Winco and I saw the TTs as well but opted for the brisket instead.

The TT above looks good to me!

Reactions: noboundaries
Most of Winco was meat is selectin my area. (Wa State) For a while the labels stated "select or better"! Well if it was better than they would charge accordingly.
But for fajitas why not.
That marbling does look delicious!

I'm in as well! Just bought more pork bellies for $2.99 lb. Only had one tri tip but it was delicious!

Ryan

Dinner's served. Easy meal.

2.5 lbs trimmed and sliced tri tip marinated for 4 hours in a Tbs each of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and oyster sauce. Then sliced an onion, 4 carrots, 1 large yellow squash, 2 red and 1 orange bell pepper. Forgot the mushrooms and chopped garlic! (Dang it!)

Browned the meat in a little olive oil. Added the carrots. Cracked the cover and simmered over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Added the rest of the veggies. Added some garlic salt and low salt seasoning. Simmered with a cracked cover for 12 more minutes.

We ate it straight, but it would be great over rice or mashed potatoes.

My wife raved about it. I added a tiny bit of teriyaki sauce.

365 cals for a 2 cup serving.

20221024_180859.jpg

20221024_183200.jpg

20221024_184915.jpg

Attachments

• 20221024_183200.jpg
    20221024_183200.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 7
Nice! Big win overall! I can believe that price, I’m paying 8 dollars a pound for chuck unless I’m hunting for a sale. Inspiring as always!

A good cook at a good price, got to love it Ray! We used to get untrimmed tritip at Raley's on sale for that price when we lived in Elk Grove, used to grind it for burgers. Since moving to Gilbert the best price I've found for tritip is $3.98lb, I'm all stocked up. RAY

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The meat was nice and tender even though the grade was not indicated, but I suspect it was Select. I don't think Standard can be sold in grocery stores, but I could be wrong.

I need protein to keep my sanity. Plus, it was a great way to use up some aging veggies. I'll sauté the garlic and mushrooms today and add them to the leftovers.

It was one quick and easy meal that would be good with just about any inexpensive protein: stew meat with a longer braise, sliced boneless/skinless chicken thighs or breasts, and sliced pork would all work. Heck, even (uurrp) tofu would work for those so inclined.

Happy eating,

Ray

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky