Corned Tri Tip Experiment - YUM!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Some nice work there Ray! I corned a few tri's when we lived in Elk Grove and I could buy them in bulk at Raley's for $2.99lb. Since moving to AZ three years ago the best price I've seen is $4.97lb, of course I stocked up. My wife doesn't eat any beef but burgers, and it's no longer cost effective corning my own. Raley's just bought out my favorite local market chain a month back, all of a sudden tritip is in the display case, but on sale it's still five bucks a pound. I love corned beef and Reuben sanny's, Sam's Club will have to do. Just goes to show, not everything in CA costs more. RAY

Reactions: noboundaries
Some nice work there Ray! I corned a few tri's when we lived in Elk Grove and I could buy them in bulk at Raley's for $2.99lb. Since moving to AZ three years ago the best price I've seen is $4.97lb, of course I stocked up. My wife doesn't eat any beef but burgers, and it's no longer cost effective corning my own. Raley's just bought out my favorite local market chain a month back, all of a sudden tritip is in the display case, but on sale it's still five bucks a pound. I love corned beef and Reuben sanny's, Sam's Club will have to do. Just goes to show, not everything in CA costs more. RAY
Thanks, RAY. Glad you can get TTs in AZ now.

I was a dedicated Raley's/Bel Air shopper until the old man died and the eldest son bought out his siblings. Prices jumped practically overnight as he wanted to become like Nugget and Whole Foods. Unfortunately, nothing changed but the prices. Now Raley's/Bel Air is just an upscale 7/11 to me. I only shop there when I need a couple of things.

So, to address the elephant in the room, most of you non-California folks are probably freaking out that I'd corn a tri tip. It was a $2.98 / lb Select grade I had in the freezer. Tri tips used to be like chicken, pork, hamburger, and steaks here in Cali until about 3-4 years ago, so no big deal for me. I've corned rounds and briskets but never a tri tip. Let's see what happens.

My corning brine based on the weight of the meat, water, and spices (kinda shigged off Amazing ribs).
3.242 lbs trimmed tri tip
1 cup brown sugar
5 Tbs pickling spice
1 Tbs black peppercorns
3-4 cups water
.25 oz sea salt per cup of water (25g this batch)
Spices, salt, and water to 4 cups.
5.060 lbs total.
6g Prague #1 salt

Ensure meat is submerged completely. Brine in fridge for 10-14 days depending on meat thickness.
05/26/22 start date, morning.
View attachment 634068

Rinse 6/6. Soak in fresh water for 4-6 hours. Dry with paper towels. Season with MSS and rest uncovered overnight in fridge to develop pellicle. Pic below is the tri tip after a night uncovered in the fridge.

View attachment 634069

0915: 6/7 Started fire in Kettle basket offset under flip-up. Knocked ash off old briquettes. Added 1.5" x 6" branch of mesquite. Covered with cold charcoal. Added 10 hot briquettes. Bottom vents ⅛" open. Top full open.

1015. Loaded cold meat direct from fridge. This smoke: 225°F climbed to 275°F at 1245.

1245: Meat 163°F. Double foil wrapped with 1 cup HOT(200°F) beef broth. Opened bottom vents to bump heat higher. Chamber climbed to 310°F then dropped a little. Take meat to 195°F IT.

Wrapped and bumping temp.

View attachment 634070

1350: Meat hit 196°F. Chamber was 295°F. Closed all vents and left meat wrapped on smoker. Chamber temp climbed to 304°F then started dropping within 5 minutes.

1405: Meat temp reached 207°F as chamber temp dropped. (I thought oops, we'll see).

1412: Chamber and meat temp at 207°F.

1448: Chamber temp 136°F. Meat temp started dropping off 207°F. Hit 203°F for 1st drop. Meat stayed at 207°F for 36 mins after chamber temp dropped past 207°F.

1520: Chamber temp 113°F; meat temp 192°F. Moved to 170°F house oven to rest until ready to serve. Kettle acted as a hot box for 90 minutes.

1820: removed from oven. Meat temp 167°F. Total 5 hours after hitting target. .

Sliced against the grain.

View attachment 634071

View attachment 634072
View attachment 634074

Juicy and tender. Not salty, which I like. Just on the verge of crumbling, but melt-in-the-mouth tender.

I'd definitely do it again!
Absolutely beautiful.

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky