Hit me (please) with your best salmon cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I think I mastered smoked salmon (hot and cold). I love it and do it regularly.

However when it comes to cooking salmon I never managed to wow myself. Tried grilled, fried, planked...It's just tasted OK. So I don't even bother anymore. Stick with smoked.

Do you have a wow salmon or recipe? Grilled, baked, bbq-ed, poached. Something you would cook for dinner, to enjoy right then..Fillet, whole, steaks...doesn't matter.

No sugar, maple syrup or honey please. Don't like my meat/fish sweet.

Thank you

Last edited:
One of my favorite ways to do salmon is whole. When I was fishing for a living I always got the just legal keepers while my customers got all the hogs. Which isn't a bad thing because I really think those smaller fish are the best. I have a method of filleting the fish that removes the bones, but leaves the two fillets attached by the back skin. As a disclaimer this cook could be done with a whole Gilles and gutted fish,jjust fillets or steaks too.

Lay the fish skin side down on a good sized chunk of foil. Big enough to wrap the fish in. Season the fish with fresh dill, tarragon, CBP, garlic, very thin lemon slices. On one side add bay shrimp and Dungeness crab meat. Lay pats of butter on top of shrimp and crab. Top that with more lemon, tarragon, and dill. Capers are also another good option too add. Place second fillet on top skin side up (meat touching all the stuffing). Wrap fish tightly in the foil. Before closing all the way add a 1/4 of white wine, not cooking wine, something you like drinking.

Place on the grill. Timing is a bit tricky do to varying cooking temps but figure 10-15 minutes per side. You need to flip the packet once.

When unfoiling save the drippings. Use as is as a simple pan sauce or use to make a white sauce.

One of my favorite ways to eat salmon, and I ate a lot of it when I was fishing and we had the seasons.

Up until now decadence for me meant eating the asparagus tips only.

Shrimp+crab sandwiched in salmon gives the word a different meaning. Lol

Few questions: shrimp and crab are cooked when you assemble the thing? Bbq running hot? Does the salmon benefit from this method? Does it pick up additional flavours?

You don't happen to have some pics.

Appreciate the quick reply.

If not hard smoking or doing a light dinner smoke for medium rare salmon, we like to do salmon poached in Champagne.

We like the citrus palate of cheap Cooks Grand Reserve, so the $5 bottle is perfect for this cook.  A medium onion is diced, then sauteed in olive oil and butter until soft. 3/4 of the sparkling wine is added to the pan (we need a couple of sipping glasses of course) along with dill weed and brought to a simmer.  The strips of fish are added and then poached to your preference.  We like to use the cooking liquid plus onions to dress the fish, and it is fantastic on mashed potatoes.

Last edited:
Poached in champagne? Thank Idaho.

Am I glad I started this thread? Champagne poached salmon, shrimp/crab stuffed salmon...i don't remember seeing cooks like this on SMF.

I don't know about the taste until i try them but the recipes are ....wow.

Thank you fellows.

Sorry no pics but tonight we grilled a large tail piece of a Salmon that the wife caught yesterday.  Very simple recipe.  With skin on, light coating of EVOO, with a little lemon juice, salt, pepper & dill.  Grill meat side down first for 5 minutes, flip over now with skin side down.  Grill until140ish IT is met.

A nice side dish is grilled asparagus which was lightly coated with EVOO, salt & pepper.

Up until now decadence for me meant eating the asparagus tips only.

Shrimp+crab sandwiched in salmon gives the word a different meaning. Lol

Few questions: shrimp and crab are cooked when you assemble the thing? Bbq running hot? Does the salmon benefit from this method? Does it pick up additional flavours?

You don't happen to have some pics.

Appreciate the quick reply.

Sorry no recent pics.

Yes Shrimp and Crab pre cooked. Put temp
Should be around 325-350 max. You could go lower though if you'd like.

We like it simple.

Just evoo then dust with Cajun seasoning.

Smoke or grill, just don't overcook.

Al

In my opinion, Salmon & Big Trout are best Smoked.

I like the smaller (Under 18" ) Trout Fried, Broiled, Baked, or Grilled, but the Big ones I Smoke.

Link:

Smoked Salmon      

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky