Higher temperature for T Spx starter culture?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jgreen

Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
Hi guys, I recently tried my hand at a dried cured sausage called fuet using the umai dry casings.

I placed them in my oven overnight to begin fermentation, and accidentally left thr light on in the oven. With the light on, it reaches around 80-83 degrees in there, which I understand is outside the recommended range.

Is this salvageable? What happens if the temperature is too high? It hasn't changed color yet, and the light has been turned off and it is in a 70 degree area now. Should I shorten fermentation time as a result of the high temperature? Thanks

It's currently been almost 16 hours, was probably in the higher temperatures for around 7 or 8 hours

To answer your question, no the higher temp. will not hurt fermentation, it will just speed up the activity of the bacteria a little. Since you are making a very small diameter salami, the flavor bacteria will not have enough time to really do much, keep on drying, it'll be fine.....

Reactions: Jgreen
To answer your question, no the higher temp. will not hurt fermentation, it will just speed up the activity of the bacteria a little. Since you are making a very small diameter salami, the flavor bacteria will not have enough time to really do much, keep on drying, it'll be fine.....
Thank you, I suspected this but the hadn't seen anything mentioning the affects of higher temperatures.

sorry
been on/off for couple days with internet probs

What IS said above

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky