For You Bread Bakers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Flow chart.

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 7.14.58 PM.png

Autolyse only includes flour and water so it can sit for 1 to 12 hours. Many recipes recommend a one-hour autolyse at room temperature. Some recipes recommend much longer autolyse times, including overnight, but generally, if you plan to autolyse for more than three hours, you should refrigerate it.

Fermentolyse includes the starter/leaven, so it is much more sensitive to temperature and time. The popular Tartine recipe calls for a 30 to 40-minute fermentolyse at a fairly warm dough temperature of 80F/27C. This step conditions the dough and gives the fermentation process a jump start before adding the salt (which slows fermentation).

In general, you do not want to fermentolyse your dough (flour, water and starter) for more than one hour before adding the salt. A long fermentolyse can begin to break down gluten.

Sound to me like a science project. I envy the neck out of you, Rick.

In general, you do not want to fermentolyse your dough (flour, water and starter) for more than one hour before adding the salt. A long fermentolyse can begin to break down gluten.
Opps . I bet that was my problem yesterday .
Great info . I have this booked .

No need for autolyse if using a high protein white flour like bread flour. Triple or quadruple the autolyse if using whole wheat or rye flours. I have found that using my Kitchenaid (until I can pull a windowpane) in lieu of all the S&Fs produces the same results. The rest of that looks pretty good.

Reactions: chopsaw and DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky