Hide Tanning Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
I was just curious if anyone does any hide tanning at all. And no, not getting your hide tanned because you came home with another smoker without your wife's permission! Lol. Or can send me in the right direction on good info. I was gifted three beaver hides and would like to tan them. I have one guy that I know of but he has hearing aids and can't talk on the phone cuz he can't hear and our schedules never line up and he's a couple hours away.

Thanks
Ryan

The only tanning I've done were a couple of road kill squirrels.

Way back then; I didn't know about brain tanning.

I staked out the hides, scraped them, dried them out with Borax, then re-hydrated with linseed oil. They held up pretty well for 5 or 6 years but eventually dried out, and stiffened up. (Not board stiff, but not supple).

My opinion; You'd be ahead to go the traditional route like Tom Oar of the "Mountain Man" TV series.

Or you could look for a commercial tanner close to you. (It's a lot of work). If I was looking at three Beaver pelts I would look for a commercial tanner.

Well if I have to I could get them to this other guy and I know he would do them, just thought it would be fun to learn the process!
The reason I posted here first was I'm not a fan of all the info on the web. Years ago I was looking into growing taters in a box, so did some looking. I ended up wasting 15 minutes of my life watching a video of a guy that did this. Well I thought he did...ended up watching him tear apart this wooden box about 3' x 3' x 4' tall...and he grew 1 potatoe!

Ryan

Reactions: 912smoker
I grew taters in old livestock protein tubs last year. Did 4 tubs and maybe got enough taters for 2 meals.

One of truckers that brought us pigs was from Canada, and he had at least an acre if not two of garden...but he said alot of people up there grow them in tires. Put a tire down, dirt, potatoes, dirt. Once they grow up out of that tire, add another and more dirt, then so on. Said alot have tires stacked up to their eves. Then when it's time go out and start pulling tires and taters...but this was long after my 15 minutes of life were wasted. So now I'm not too trusting.

Ryan

Reactions: 912smoker
I know what you mean about wasted time watching videos. Everyone is an expert.

I don't watch many videos, (You Tube), that run over 5 minutes.

I tried the squirrel tanning for the same reasons you give, curiosity and fun, and marking off another thing that I had done. Still it is a lot of work. If you have plenty of time, go for it. If you want three really nice pelts, look for help.

It's been a long time since I did the squirrels, (15 to 20 years), but I believe that I probably had 5 to 8 hours labor in each one. There's probably 20 squirrel pelts in each beaver, by square inch. Probably more than 20 squirrels in a beaver.

Put a tire down, dirt, potatoes, dirt. Once they grow up out of that tire, add another and more dirt, then so on
Similar to the tub deal. Layer of dirt, add more as taters grow, dump out at end of season, pick up taters. Used the best dirt possible, kept watered, and got a few fist size taters and some golf balls, and yea, I got this off the net as well.

I tried the squirrel tanning for the same reasons you give, curiosity and fun, and marking off another thing that I had done. Still it is a lot of work. If you have plenty of time, go for it. If you want three really nice pelts, look for help.

It's been a long time since I did the squirrels, (15 to 20 years), but I believe that I probably had 5 to 8 hours labor in each one. There's probably 20 squirrel pelts in each beaver, by square inch. Probably more than 20 squirrels in a beaver.
Thanks for your replies! I might have to just make time to go see him...think he is 80 or older so definately knows what he's doing. He does alot of work for the Indians as he lives close to them and very nice work at that.

Ryan

I think that is something people used to do when they were snowed in their cabins for the winter.

Reactions: one eyed jack
Wow you brought back things I tried dabbling in before you were born.
I'll relate what I remember
I assume you want hair on tans being these are beaver pelts. Hair on means a dry cure.

I have the hide from the last deer my great uncle shot. We call it his 200th deer and probably pretty close.
I'm not sure how I preserved (tanned) it. I think it was a salt peter rub.
It was not washed prior to tanning. Washing is a normal procedure to get the musky scent out of the hair.
Way back then; I didn't know about brain tanning.
I never tried a brain tanning. basically, you rub the (fatty) brain from each animal into the hide

Tomatoes and peppers like warm feet (roots). Potatoes do not like warm feet so planting in an exaggerated raised ager or even worse black tires is not productive.
Plant in a low hill with plenty of compost mixed in the soil. Keep watered but not wet.

Thanks for your replies! I might have to just make time to go see him...think he is 80 or older so definately knows what he's doing. He does alot of work for the Indians as he lives close to them and very nice work at that.

Ryan
I've had about 30+ deer (whitetail, axis, blackbuck antelope) hides tanned for me. I would definitely suggest getting someone else to do it for you.

I looked it up and the sheer amount of time, chemical treatment and working the hides is way too much for DIY'er to casually do it. I do a ton of things on my own and this was one that I decided to outsource. There is a guy near Denton, TX that does them and I take all my hides to him.

If I had to do it all over again I would get him to remove the hair off the hides as deer hair doesnt want to stay with the hides like with some other animals. With all the hair removed it would have been buckskin and I could have had a ton of things done with that as my mother was a seamstress in your younger days. With the hair on the hide on one side and with the fact that it sheds I can't do a whole lot with what I have BUT I did get her to make me this big Jeramiah Johnson coat that I can wear like 2-3 days out of the year when it gets that cold in TX. I love it and it was a labor of love for her so it means more to me than can be explained :)

I've had about 30+ deer (whitetail, axis, blackbuck antelope) hides tanned for me. I would definitely suggest getting someone else to do it for you.

I looked it up and the sheer amount of time, chemical treatment and working the hides is way too much for DIY'er to casually do it. I do a ton of things on my own and this was one that I decided to outsource. There is a guy near Denton, TX that does them and I take all my hides to him.

If I had to do it all over again I would get him to remove the hair off the hides as deer hair doesnt want to stay with the hides like with some other animals. With all the hair removed it would have been buckskin and I could have had a ton of things done with that as my mother was a seamstress in your younger days. With the hair on the hide on one side and with the fact that it sheds I can't do a whole lot with what I have BUT I did get her to make me this big Jeramiah Johnson coat that I can wear like 2-3 days out of the year when it gets that cold in TX. I love it and it was a labor of love for her so it means more to me than can be explained :)
My wife made this coat for me, elk skin

20220212_002428.jpg

Would have put it on the table to take pic but she's putting a puzzle together on it!
Braided all the seams

20220212_002441.jpg

My elk skin leather pants...over 20 years old for sure!

20220212_002246.jpg

Ryan

Send them out to a tannery, it's money well spent. Beaver's run about $25 to $45 depending on where you send them. Most places have a 2 week to 1 month turn around time on wet pelts.
Scraping beaver pelts is as nasty as it sounds, have the tails done as well, they normally split the tails unless you ask for them to keep it whole, I don't know why you would want them whole though.

How much did they weigh? I don't kill them anymore, unless they are jacking things up. They get a pass from me, my blood lust is fading quickly, I just don't enjoy killing them like I once did.

Looking forward to the photo's.
Dan

Ryan , I have done deer hide from the first deer I shot . This was 30-40 years ago . I still have some of it . It finally got dry and hair started to fall out.
I use a Alum Solution, and soaked it . I have the process in a book ,
Great Book.
Called Readers Digest " Back to Basics ". I can look it up and copy the process for you if you want .
Its a great book on showing you how to pick a piece of land , build your farm , raise livestock, KILL livestock, ha ha . Grow your Taters and other veg, fruit ,preserve it and so on and so on

Did I say it's a great book, lots of pictures ( that's good for me )

David

Would have put it on the table to take pic but she's putting a puzzle together on it!
Braided all the seams

I feel your pain, There is not a time during the year ( well there might be 1 week ) that Mona does
not have a puzzle on one of our tables

David

PS : love the cloths. They must be for your Re-enactment times

Last edited:
I was just curious if anyone does any hide tanning at all. And no, not getting your hide tanned because you came home with another smoker without your wife's permission! Lol. Or can send me in the right direction on good info. I was gifted three beaver hides and would like to tan them. I have one guy that I know of but he has hearing aids and can't talk on the phone cuz he can't hear and our schedules never line up and he's a couple hours away.

Thanks
Ryan
Funny you should ask this Ryan.
We have such a beaver problem that our county just raised the bounty to $40 per tail !
Told the wife I was going to get the traps out she suggested tanning a few. I know nothing of this process either but will start looking around now !

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky