Hide Tanning Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Too much work for me!!
Tanning is becoming a DIY thing of the past, in my area here.
When I used to trap, mostly Muskrats, Foxes, and Coons, the guys around here would give you the same amount for the whole body, as they did if you'd skin them & stretch them yourself. They said so many people screw them up, that they'd rather do them themselves.
Back then rats were getting $7.50 for an adult & $3 for a Kit. A couple hundred Rats a season gave you some nice Beer Money!!

Bear

Send them out to a tannery, it's money well spent. Beaver's run about $25 to $45 depending on where you send them. Most places have a 2 week to 1 month turn around time on wet pelts.
Scraping beaver pelts is as nasty as it sounds, have the tails done as well, they normally split the tails unless you ask for them to keep it whole, I don't know why you would want them whole though.

How much did they weigh? I don't kill them anymore, unless they are jacking things up. They get a pass from me, my blood lust is fading quickly, I just don't enjoy killing them like I once did.

Looking forward to the photo's.
Dan
Not for sure how much they weighed, were trapped by a friend of a friend lol! Mostly because of being a nuisance and flooding farm land... but also cuz they are tasty eating! Woodchuck pretty good too! I told them to stop chucking my wood! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

No idea for tanning beaver, but anyone want a process for snake skin, let me know.
Funny you say that...just read through a post recently of someone that had a big ass snake, can't remember who it was now. I know I commented on wanting to see pics of it coming out of the smoker!

Ryan

Ryan , I have done deer hide from the first deer I shot . This was 30-40 years ago . I still have some of it . It finally got dry and hair started to fall out.
I use a Alum Solution, and soaked it . I have the process in a book ,
Great Book.
Called Readers Digest " Back to Basics ". I can look it up and copy the process for you if you want .
Its a great book on showing you how to pick a piece of land , build your farm , raise livestock, KILL livestock, ha ha . Grow your Taters and other veg, fruit ,preserve it and so on and so on

Did I say it's a great book, lots of pictures ( that's good for me )

David
Thanks David , I would like reading through that! Growing taters... funny, years ago probably the first year we tried growing potatoes...well harvest is a busy time for crops and we both worked off the farm as well! But we might have forgotten one crucial step...digging them up! :emoji_blush:, found them the next spring with the tiller! Probably about the same time that for us, paprika was only used as a topping for deviled eggs!
And yes, they are for our rendezvous.

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I’ve used this with excellent results on coyote. Once the hide is fleshed it is pretty easy
52AF3BA6-8A1C-427A-8AF0-3F7081201614.png

That's a great looking suit of clothes Ryan. I really like the braided stitching. Wish that I could say that my 20 year old pants still fit.
Thank you! Well let's say back then I was a skinny runt! They were too big and worn with suspenders, they were also made to be adjustable, they have been adjusted out and can be worn without suspenders! I gave into peer pressure and am now a well rounded individual!

Ryan

Funny you should ask this Ryan.
We have such a beaver problem that our county just raised the bounty to $40 per tail !
Told the wife I was going to get the traps out she suggested tanning a few. I know nothing of this process either but will start looking around now !

Keith
Thanks Keith! I think last year our county was at $30 / tail. Wife and I skinned the tail and tried it once...notice I said once lol, it wasn't bad just not worth the effort. Kinda like venison tongue, alot of work for a little meat.
But if you have the time and knowledge go for it...if nothing else just for the meat...you won't be disappointed!

Ryan

Reactions: 912smoker
Wish I could be of some help Ryan!

That elk skin coat and pants are very cool!
Thanks Justin! I appreciate it! And no worries...but a big light bulb just went off in my head...I'll get a hold of you shortly!

Ryan

Too much work for me!!
Tanning is becoming a DIY thing of the past, in my area here.
When I used to trap, mostly Muskrats, Foxes, and Coons, the guys around here would give you the same amount for the whole body, as they did if you'd skin them & stretch them yourself. They said so many people screw them up, that they'd rather do them themselves.
Back then rats were getting $7.50 for an adult & $3 for a Kit. A couple hundred Rats a season gave you some nice Beer Money!!

Bear
Thanks Bear! Probably too much work for me too but still interested ! Dang young kids anyways...I'm about Bear Jr's age...will be in March anyways.

Ryan

Funny you should ask this Ryan.
We have such a beaver problem that our county just raised the bounty to $40 per tail !
Told the wife I was going to get the traps out she suggested tanning a few. I know nothing of this process either but will start looking around now !

Keith

That's quite a bounty. I think that I'd b setting traps, too.

Reactions: 912smoker
Thanks David , I would like reading through that! Growing taters... funny, years ago probably the first year we tried growing potatoes...well harvest is a busy time for crops and we both worked off the farm as well! But we might have forgotten one crucial step...digging them up! :emoji_blush:, found them the next spring with the tiller! Probably about the same time that for us, paprika was only used as a topping for deviled eggs!
And yes, they are for our rendezvous.

Ryan
Yes the book is a good read. Here is the cover and the table of contents. look at the list ,quite a few different things in it. I found a second copy at a used store incase I ever damage the first one.

Funny about your potatoes. :emoji_grin: :emoji_grin:

DSC_4067.JPG
DSC_4068.JPG

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Yes the book is a good read. Here is the cover and the table of contents. look at the list ,quite a few different things in it. I found a second copy at a used store incase I ever damage the first one.

Funny about your potatoes. :emoji_grin: :emoji_grin:

View attachment 525578View attachment 525579

David
Saunas and hot tubs...what's he do, fart in a galvanized wash tub? :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Not for sure how much they weighed, were trapped by a friend of a friend lol! Mostly because of being a nuisance and flooding farm land... but also cuz they are tasty eating! Woodchuck pretty good too! I told them to stop chucking my wood! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Woodchuck isn't bad.

We just kept the front and back legs.

Par poiled with some baking soda, skimming off the fat.

Season, bake and enjoy with a cold beer.

Woodchuck isn't bad.

We just kept the front and back legs.

Par poiled with some baking soda, skimming off the fat.

Season, bake and enjoy with a cold beer.
We have chuck and noodles! And a beer does seem like a good pairing!

Ryan

Reactions: bill ace 350
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky